Oct 2, 2007

Daddy's Garden

John had an AWESOME garden this year!! Yes, he is the gardener in the family. I am responsible for eating a lot of the food though. Between the two of us, he has the green thumb by far. We have been making salads all summer! I love just waltzing out to the garden and coming back in with everything I need for a fancy salad. I am not looking forward to all of the tomatoes freezing... that is always a sad day!
They Kiddo's LOVE picking the carrots. My summer afternoons always included cleaning up piles of dirt from the harvest my children would bring through the door. They were hard at work, and usually I didn't have the heart to tell them not to pick anymore. Ellie liked to bring in the beets and say, "it's a baby one!" Anything "baby" is always a bonus.
The garden was complete with three really tall sunflowers until......
Daddy picked one! Now our garden only has two, but the kids enjoyed their time with this huge flower. One of the great things about washington (yes there is one) is that your plants thrive really well! Usually all you have to do is plant the seeds, and Viola. Next year, I think we are going to try peppers. I did plant an herb garden (yeah for me), but thanks to someones love of her watering can, it only produced cilantro, green onions, and parsley.

3 comments:

piercefam said...

Hey Utah girl...you better stop with the Washington comments or I'm going to have to start a debate with you! You love it here. Especially on days like today...the sun did come out in the late afternoon...did you miss it?

Sarah said...

Cute garden! And so fun that John is the gardener! Things grow really well here, but I managed to kill our cilantro which is my favorite herb I've discovered, I was a little sad about that one. An herb garden is as far as I've ventured, but I hope to have a big garden someday, yours looks so great!! :)

Suz, Nathan & Kye said...

So I could only get basil, oregano, and parsley to thrive this year...I killed the cilantro. Bummer. Jens and Elvis look so cute in these pictures! I am dying to get up there and visit.