Mar 20, 2008

The Decorational Appliance

John purchased this wonderful appliance for me three valentines day’s ago. The kids and I used it for the fifth time yesterday!! No really, I have made exactly five things in this mixer. I really really wanted a red KitchenAid, and then when it showed up, I realized I am more of a bowl and spoon kind of girl. I like to throw everything in the dishwasher, and I can’t bring myself to put the big bowl and attachments in the dishwasher. It’s not that I don’t want to use it, I just forget. John has actually used it more than me, mostly because he is trying to be funny. While he mixes cookies, he is full of comments about what a fabulous machine it is. It is a beautiful machine, and I have enjoyed making play dough in it. I survived so long with my hand mixer that I hate to disturb the beautiful appliance chillin’ on my counter. I am recommitting to use it… the kids love it, and I really should put some miles on it because it was a very sweet gift. We made tasty banana nut bread today. If you adapt well to change I recommend getting one because they are fabulous. The kids did all the pouring, and Jensen even turned the machine on and off. My only job was measuring and putting the loaves in the oven. The KitchenAid eliminates all of the arguments about whose turn it is to stir, as well as the amount of food being flung onto the walls.

10 comments:

Sheri said...

I really want one of those - and it's on my list for my birthday this year. But, I'm like you - I like to throw things in the dishwasher!

jayna said...

I hate to bake/cook in general, but for some reason I have this fantasy that if I had one of these mixers, that would all magically disappear...thank you for bringing me and my wooden spoon back to reality! :)

anniewalkfam said...

i can't believe you've used it so little! I love mine! Especially for really hard doughs to mix like my lemon rolls! I do wish you could throw them in dishwasher though. I'll never go back to a hand mixer though.

Sarah said...

I can't believe you've used it so little too! I use mine all the time and I love it. I got it for one of my bridal showers and I put it in the dishwasher and it is used seriously all the time and it still looks and works like it did when I got it. I'm excited for you to use yours more so hopefully you can fall in love with it like I am with mine! ;) Making bread, rolls, cookies, frosting, even whipping cream... I could go on and on, are so much easier with the kitchenaid! You're missing out Mimi! :)

The Eggett Clan said...

That is a beautiful appliance, I think I would have a hard time wanting to use it too.

Rebecca said...

I grew up with a kitchen aid, we used it for everything, we had attachments for the front of it that shredded and chopped...it was our food processor as well, so when I got a cuisinart for our wedding, I didn't know what to do with it. Anyway, what's this baloney about not putting it in the dishwasher...it's totally dishwasher friendly.

Suz, Nathan & Kye said...

umm...I got one for my wedding. It is the cadillac of the appliances. I admit, I should use mine more, but I love, love, love it!!!
P.S. Mine's red too!

I heart Max! said...

I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. Max has no plans to buy me one, he's all talk.

Chad & Keysha Peck said...

I received a fancy mixer as well several Christmas' ago. I returned mine....I decided I am a 'spoon and bowl' girl. Everyone has told me they're amazing though....maybe someday when I actually "bake" more.

Ronell and Briawna said...

Mimi, After working at Williams-Sonoma for four years and selling oodles of these amazing machines, I can officially tell you that the bowl is dishwasher safe. If you have acrylic attachments (White ones), those can go in the dishwasher, too. The only things that can't are the silver attachments. They'll rust. If you have the pour shield, it can go on the top shelf of the dishwasher.

I use mine so much that I bought another bowl for when I do double batches or several things at once. Someday, I'll buy a 6-quart one and do some serious cooking. But that won't be for a while because these things last about 25 years. My mom got one for her wedding 30 years ago and it's still humming like new!