Mar 18, 2008

Party Time!

This month has been crazy birthday month!! The kids are starting to ask who's party we are going to that day. We went to a U-Fish party this weekend. I was really excited about going to this party because my kids have never caught their own fish. Jensen spent a long time at the dock at Sunlakes and didn't have any success. The bonus about the U-fish is that right when you put the pole in the pond you get a fish... it would be nice to have a happy medium.

They both loved catching the fish, but as soon as it came out of the water they wanted nothing to do with it. There is something unsettling about a fish out of water. I tried to get Jensen to hold the line while I took a picture, but right when I was about to take it the fish would go crazy and he would run away... poor kiddo.

Happy Birthday to Laura and Dean (John's Mom and Step Dad)!! It was a fun night! This was supposed to be a goofy picture... just in case you were wondering.
The next party was a Jump Planet party for Makay and Elizabeth! Jensen and Levi had a lot of fun. Ellie spent the entire time running around with Roo. It is so nice having cousins the same age and gender as my kids, they always have a buddy.
Ok... I have been waiting to post about this because I haven't gotten over it until recently. The last couple months you will notice Ellie's short bangs in front. Well it happened... something I said would never happen to my kids! SHE CUT HER HAIR!!! I was in my closet when I heard the sound of scissors in the bathroom. My heart literally jumped out of my chest.. I knew it couldn't be good. I was right! She managed to cut her perfectly long hair right in the front... and a chunk in back. The scissors were left on my bathroom counter from John's hair cut the night before. I tried to blame John, but couldn't! I know it will grow back, and I am probably being a touch dramatic, but this is the worst thing that has ever happened to her. As I pulled long chunks of hair from her head, I thought things would never be the same! I am now OK with it, that is why I am posting about it now, and not when it happened. In fact, she cut her hair again at her grandma's house and I didn't feel that bad. I am really careful where I put the scissors now, and we have had many talks about how we don't cut our hair. Anyway, this picture perfectly displays her handy work. So sad!

The last party we went to, which was directly after the fishing party was a party for our neighbor at the skating rink. The kids were tired, but the look on Ellie's face describes perfectly how they felt about skating. It was entertaining for me to watch them try and get around the rink. The best thing about going to a skating rink is that you will always find your signature 40 year old professional skater there, and the exact same music you skated to in middle school. I could not help but watch the woman who was skating backwards most of the time, weaving in and out of all the inexperienced skaters. I'm pretty sure she was there by herself because I never saw her talk to anyone. I love how people find their passion and go for it, she was well over the age of most rink goers, but I could tell she was where she wanted to be! We'll probably wait a few years before we try skating again.

Phew... Long post!

13 comments:

Carrie Hellewell said...

Oh no! Ellie's hair was so incredibly cute and long! Sorry to hear. But it looks cute short and the bangs are cute too. One day it will happen to me so I'll have to remember to take it all in stride as well.

Erin said...

Ellie's hair is still so cute! My friends little girl gave herself a reverse mowhawk and they actually had to BUZZ it. SO SAD! Be grateful it wasn't worse!

People there have FUN b-day parties! How fun to go rollerskating and fishing in one day!

ps. cute pregnant belly! I love it!

Boonie said...

HEY!!!

There is an envelope in my scrapbook that says "Boonie's first haircut... by Mimi" so yes, it is tragic that Ellie lost her beautiful blonde hair. However, at least it wasn't cut by her older sibling in her sleep!!!

McDonald Clan said...

Really?? I am soooo sorry Boo! I had no idea I did that! Were you really sleeping?? How naughty was I? I guess I deserve it then. Really? I cut your hair? Was it a lot? So Mean!

jayna said...

Also not as bad as hearing that cutting sound when you realize your 3 yr. old who was "doing" YOUR hair had used her little kid safety scissors to cut a chunk out of your long ponytail...Thankfully the piece was underneath, so I didn't have to shave my head...talk about HEART ATTACK!

Sarah said...

Aaaaa! That is totally one of my fears too! Although, when it's not your kid, seeing the missing chunks is really funny and kind of cute - sorry! Miss Ellie still looks adorable and I hope she doesn't do it again! ;)

The Eggett Clan said...

My kids haven't cut their own hair yet, but Maleah did cut her cousin Caitlins hair when they were two. Caitlin had a little pony tail right on top of her head and Maleah cut the pony off. IT WAS BAD!!! I don't know what's worse having your kid cut their own hair, or having them cut someone else's. I felt terrible. I hope I never have to deal with my kids cutting their own hair (knock on wood) I would die!!!

Anne and Dillon said...

I really do love your blog Mimi. I look forward to reading it. You are a good writer, giving little glimpses into your life.

Sheri said...

I didn't even notice Ellie's hair - what does that say about me? What fun parties. Did you keep the fish? We went there last summer and the kids HAD to keep the fish, so Rob cleaned them out and they are still frozen in my freezer.

bonnerbunch said...

That has always been a fear of mine! I am always leaving my hair scissors out too! & they are always watching me cut people's hair so I think Tim tried to cut his hair once but I cought him and warned him with his life!! It's something they will remember forever!! Hey I saw your Dad out walking the Heber/Midway trail yesterday, he is so cute he waves to everyone!!

Steven and Whitney said...

Never fear--hair grows back (unless you are me who has never had much of it)! Sounds like we have all had a bad experience in one way or another. I cut my bangs to nonexistence when I was little. You have good hair genes--she'll have a full head of hair before you know it!

Coatney Family said...

are you still talking about parties? Ellie still looks adorable, nothing could tarnish that gorgeous face.

Rebecca said...

It has been a month of parties, holy smokes. You always said, 'we have a bday party' like it was no big deal, but those parties were going all out! Wow!