Apr 20, 2008

Give it up for the Rookie

I am officially changing my name to quilterella...not to be confused with bakerella(I haven't baked anything that I am particularly proud of). This super adorable quilt was sewn by MOI, and I have to give myself props because my mom didn't help!! Ok ok, she was actually here when I finished it and she did help out with the binding...but I did the sewing. I am notorious for handing projects over to my mom when they get too complicated, she is the true quilterella! Aside from random church projects this is my first machine quilt. I have done plenty of tie quilting in the past, but I like that this blanket is free of the little yarn nobbies. I have no idea what quilting style this is, there is a box sewn within each square. If you know what it's called, you can fill me in. A special thanks to the late night quilting party members... may I someday quilt as well as you!!
Of course there is always a sad story to accompany any great success I have. One whole day after completing the quilt it was RUINED by popcorn grease. My children are very proud of the fact that they are capable of preparing their own snacks; and brought over a freshly popped bag of popcorn to show me their achievements. Yes, you guess it... the quilt was sitting next to me, directly under the bag that was being held up by the wrong end. Luckily it was the Movie Theater edition so it contained extra butter... the bright orange kind :-) I reached for the closest thing I could, which happened to be a Kleenex to try and get the grease out. After washing it over and over and soaking the spots with Dish detergent- it is ready for baby. I learned a valuable lesson of not leaving freshly sewn baby blankets kicking around. Hopefully I can get the crib skirt and sheet made before she arrives. This collection is seriously to die for... there are so many cute fabrics- check out this line (the pictures above don't really do it justice). I am thinking I am going to need one for Ellie's bed, because I haven't seen fabric this fun in long time!

14 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Very Cute! You have attempted something I prefer not to ever attempt. I hand over all quilts to my mom. One day I will be brave!

For the stain, you might want to try the oxi-clean spray. It is my favorite thing after having a baby. Every stain has come out with it. I love the stuff.

Chad & Keysha Peck said...

Wow! I am very impressed...I have a sewing machine but I am yet to complete a project without my mom's help. (I am famous for handing things over to my mom as well...Actually, I just have the ideas and have her create!) I am very proud of you for completing this gorgeous quilt on your own!

Tracy Family said...

I love the pattern, it's kind of shabby chic which I love. It reminds me of our master bedroom :) I will take you to get cupcakes with me any day, you name it!

Steven and Whitney said...

Is there anything you can't do? Good job! I don't do anything domestic--plenty of thoughts about stuff but no desire to actually start or even complete any projects. Maybe someday when I have kids to do something for I might actually give it a try!

The Curleys said...

That is really cute. I know who to contact when needing something like this. LOL! Also the park in heber that we went to is the one on main street across from dairy keen and don't think they have changed it in a long time.

Shila said...

That is amazing, how do you find the time? Great job Meems!

Holen Family said...

Hi Marie! It's Sarah Jo. How are you? I was looking at Taylor's blog and I saw Mimi and I knew it had to be you. You have the cutest family! It is fun getting to see what you have been up to for the last nine years. Where do you live?
My blog is holens.blogspot.com, I would love to hear from you!

Rebecca said...

I love, love, love it all, as you know! So glad that popcorn drama didn't diminish the beauty of your work!

Bown Bloggity Blog said...

Mim, the quilt is lovely and little sis will have a nice story about her stuff being besmirked by her siblings before she is even born. I need a bit of help with my blog, but its 3:35 am, guess calling now would be considered rude, yes?

Margie said...

amazing quilt! I love it! I've attempted to machine sew one blanket but was a chicken and didn't even piece together the top!

Sheri said...

What a beautiful baby quilt. I have some quilt blogs that I check out all the time because I would love to be able to make such beautiful quilts - and someday, I will. Just not right now. I may have to buy some fabric though just because it is so cute!!

Briawna said...

So cute! I love the fabric. Your piecing is called just patchwork, sometimes a four-patch. I like that you quilted it inside the boxes. I've heard that called echo quilting because you echo the piecing. But I'm still learning to quilt and it's been almost four years since I started! Be prepared, though, it's a very expensive hobby, between the fabric and the cool gadgets.

Sarah said...

Mimi, that quilt is darling! I am so impressed. And I'm so glad you got the popcorn grease out of it too. How do kids just know when something special is available to be destroyed... ;)

The Eggett Family said...

Very Impressive Mimi, that looks so cute.