Since baby Mia will have her immune system supressed, we decided to install hardwood floors so that we can get all the germs out and have a more easily maintainable surface. To do hardwood, we have to remove trim, so now we are getting new trim. We decided to tear out the center wall in our kitchen in order to create more space. The plan is to put an island in its place for more counterspace and room for stools. Tearing down the walls was a blast. I had a couple high school buddies over to help as well as Jeff and his son. Between Ellie, Jensen and Logan it could have been their full time job. They were hammering long after all traces of sheetrock were gone. They even hammered on a couple walls that were to stay. Oops. It was funny, and we are going to have the puddy out soon, so no harm.
Mimi and I are not extremely passionate about interior decorating and things like that, so it has been extremely helpful that two of our friends have stepped in and are making decisions for us. They come plan, measure, suggest, sheme, shop, come to Home Depot with us, and even take home project to complete! It is like we have our own interior decorators. I also have a couple real close freinds that do pipe and framing. This has proven to be priceless. On top of this I have a couple friends drop by and jump right into whatever I am working on. No pricetag for this. Thank you!!!
Total wall length that we have torn down is only 11' but we have had some challenges, mainly the fact that all possible utilites are in this small section of wall. It's just downright unfair. Here's the list of setbacks: Three power outlets, two light switches, a phone line,Three air ducts, two water pipes, a sewer pipe and a partridge in a pair tree. Also, the wall is a load bearing wall. Here is what we have done so far to solve problems. We set a post and beam to carry the weight from the ceiling. Water pipes have been rerouted, Power and lights will have to be figured out as well as phone line. Sewer pipe will need to be moved over a bit, but the real kicker is the air ducts. I just haven't figure out how to get around that one. Oh, and the hardwood flooring material was purchased today and we are ready to roll. the wood is supposed to "acclamate" for a week and then we will install. We chose Brazilian Redwood for downstairs, purpleheart for the small rectangle in front of the fireplace, and Santos Mahogany for the upstairs landing. We are going to do the stairs as well, but I have some more measuring to do.
Here is our first Youtube video of the demo-