Jul 29, 2008

A big day of 1st's


My big news is.... we get to go home on WEDNESDAY!!! Mia is doing great! She is only hooked up to the feeding tube now, and has been stable for days. I have been doing all her care so the doctors are confident that I can handle everything at home. The only thing I have left to do is to put a feeding tube in. She takes her shots like a champ! I think I might put daddy in charge of the shots, because I don't want her associating my voice with the pain... although she has slept through most of them. We'll let daddy be the bad guy!

Today I fed her from a bottle for the first time. She drank it down- then fell fast asleep. We had to finish up her feeding through the tube, but I was overjoyed she did so well. Tomorrow we take on the task of nursing... something long awaited!

We took our first walk today. I took her outside and we just sat there for a hour- it was very therapeutic to be outside holding my infant- no strings attached! As I walked past the front doors, I envisioned myself bolting out of here. Would security chase me down?? As stir crazy as I am after living in a hospital for three weeks, I don't want to rush her. That, and even if I did make it out to the parking garage there is no car or car seat to aid me in my escape.

Mia had her first bath today! Our favorite nurse wheeled in the tubby and she took her first bath- I didn't get any pic's because daddy took the camera home to take pictures of the kids doing karate. Apparently John has been busy teaching them martial arts in my absence.... fabulous!

17 comments:

babyjane said...

Oh Mims...congrats...I am so happy that all is going well with Mia!! I am so amazed with your family! As to my husband, he is actually 6 years younger than me. He is one of my cousin Derek's best friends. I kind of had a crush on him growing up but he was way too young...but he has been pursuing me since he was 17...I guess I am a cradle robber!! He he...

anniewalkfam said...

that is such happy news! I know your kids are excited too! They keep talking about you and telling me about Mia! we are so happy for you guys!

Julie said...

Oh that is wonderful!!!!! Good news, good news! Mia is one strong baby! We are so happy for your family!

Kirstin said...

I am so excited you get to go home. That will make life feel so much better! I look up to you Mimi for the mom and lady you are. Reading your blog is an uplift to me. I hope Mia continues to do wonderful!

Lauri said...

Hurray! I am so excited for you! I am so excited to meet the little darling I had been talking to in your belly. She is so strong and beautiful, just like her mommy.

Sheri said...

YEAH!!! That is wonderful news. That will be so good for your family!! Way to go, Mia!!

jayna said...

Great news guys! I'm so relieved for all of you! AND, is her hair not the cutest thing in the WORLD?!

Rachel said...

I am so happy for you and Mia and the rest of the McD's....what a fabulous blessing!!

Erin said...

Yay!!! What a trooper little Mia is -and you too, of course! I am so happy she gets to go home on Wednesday! I can't believe it's happened so soon! WOW! What a blessing for you and your family. Good Luck with the nursing thing....I hope it goes as well as everything else. I love being able to check your blog and find out the latest on Mia. Thanks for keeping us all posted. By the way, your mom looks as beautiful as ever! Does she get to stay for a while?

Enjoy your coming home day! I'll be thinking of you!

The Eggett Family said...

That's such exciting news! How fun that Mia got her first bath, first bottle, and first trip outside. Good Luck with nursing - have you been pumping this whole time? You are such an awesome Mom!

Brittany Osborn said...

Yay! Congrats! I'm so excited for your sweet family. I love her hair! It's very pretty. My kids are always born with a lot of black hair but it falls out at three months and comes back a different color. I've heard that it is less likely to fall out on blonds so yay for Mia. She is so pretty and I wish I lived near you so I could come see her.

Jenner said...

i'm happy to see things are going well. she is one cute baby.

Anna Rebekah said...

Yay... That is exciting news. Now you can get back to your "new" normal!

Jennifer said...

So super exciting! I am so happy that you get to bring her home. I sincerely hope the breastfeeding goes smoothly. Hopefully her taking a bottle so well is a sign of things to come on that avenue. My nephew never could take a bottle or latch on, so I think Mia taking a bottle is absolutely wonderful! I would LOVE to get together sometime. I know it's gonna be pretty hectic for you after you get home, just getting everything going and settled, but PLEASE contact me however you like so we can get together. I gotta say, you are the strongest woman ALIVE!

Sarah said...

Woohoo!!! Mims, I am SO happy that miss Mia gets to come home!! That is such wonderful news. I am so happy that she is doing so well, so, so happy. Have I told you that I love the nickname shortcake? Because I do. I think it's adorable :)

tyalpabr said...

Good job Mia!! I am so happy that she is doing so well! Hurray, you got to take her outside and give her a bath. Give her a kiss for me! Such a super beautiful little girl.

mbishopp said...

Hey, thanks for leaving that sassy post on my blog. i am glad i visited you two while you were still in the hospital.

also, i hope you don't mind me 'borrowing' a song or two from your blog. they always made me smile when i visited your blog.

good luck on the weeks ahead!