Jul 9, 2008

A long long day

The day has come to an end and I can't quite sleep yet since I am waiting to hear back on a procedure being done right now. Here is our day in a nutshell. (Spelling, Grammar and small errors in the facts will be corrected promptly as soon as Mimi gets a chance to check this....

Monday July 7th
8:15 - Check into University of WA hospital to get ready for baby. We met the nurses, doctors and just got settled. A plan was formulated to begin Pitocin at 2 a.m., break the water membrane around 6:30 a.m. and have baby some time in the a.m.

10-12:00 midnight - Here we watched some TV, talked, met some interesting doctors, went on a walk and took goofy pictures of Mimi. I will try and get one on here.

Tuesday July 8th
12-2:00 a.m. - Sleeping on and off.

2:00 - Mimi and I are bright eyed and bushy-tailed waiting for the drugs that would get our baby into this world.

2-4:00 a.m. - Reading magazines, waiting for drugs, and not even trying to sleep due to nurses coming in and out. In the end, we discovered that Dr. Peterson had to tend to two emergency C-sections.

4:15 a.m. - Pitocin started

5:00 a.m. - Nurse realizes that in order for Pitocin to take affect, one must actually open the valve. Here is when the "pit" actually begun. (We realized here that we may have been able to stay home and would have gotten some sleep since we didn't get rolling until now. O-well. I suppose that all the messing around is really a necessary part of the most anything. Think about it.

5-7:00 - John sleeping, Mimi in and out of sleep.

7:15 - John wakes up to a room full of young interns, while wiping sleep slobber from his brow.

7:30 - Water membrane broken to assist baby in beginning to descend.

9:45ish - Dilated to a 7+

10:30 - Dilated to a 10

11:40 - Begin pushing. At this point there are 11 doctors, nurses etc in the room (14 people total with Mimi, myself, Mimi's mom, and aunt) with another 4 pediatricians in the next room waiting to take care of baby. Now that is what I call service! Granted there were a couple of these that must have been interns and did nothing but smile really big, but I liked that too. It's nice to have smilers.

12:00 - Baby born. The cord was around the neck and had to be cut by more skilled hands. Mimi actually got to do some pushing this go round, which was different than the others, where she pushed just a couple times, and very gently. Because gentle pushing is all Mimi is allowed to do, the forceps arrived on the scene. These really do the job. (They also could most likely effectively remove your oil filter from your Ford).

12:00 - Mia was immediately whisked away to the neighboring room. The pediatric doctors cleaned her up while checking vitals. In the time it took me to get a robe on and enter that room, they had already resuscitated her (she was breathing wonderfully), cleaned her up, weighed her and checked vitals. They promptly wrapped her up and headed back to give Mimi a glimpse before carrying her off to the ICU.

12:05 - This is the picture I posted in the last post with Mimi and Baby. They didn't put her down, but Mimi at least got to get close to her sweet Mia, even if for but a moment. I cannot express how heartbreaking this was to not be able to have those first moments of life to hold our baby. We recognize so much that went well today, but it sure didn't make it any less heart wrenching. Love you Meem. You did wonderfully.

12:10 - 2:30pm - This time was critical and surely many things were being checked and the like. We were mainly told that they were putting in an IV. We wondered how it could possibly take this long, and later saw all of the pokes in her little hand. They had a tough time finding a vain with her lowered blood pressure. Since there is a smallish window to maintain the Ductus Arteriosis open. I was getting concerned. In the end they put the tubes in through the umbilical. When an infant is born, each has a hole in the heart (Ductus Arteriosis) that closes anywhere from hours to days (or longer) after baby is born. They use Prostaglandin to keep the hole in the heart open in a case like Mia's, where the circulation must be different in order for half of the heart to circulate sufficient blood for the entire body. Aunt Nat, please feel free to correct me on all the equivocations...

2:45 - We get to see baby & Mimi gets to hold her for a couple of minutes. (It was probably only for 3 minutes or so). Again, heart wrenching. She is so little and so sweet. Sad to see her hooked up to machines. We just want to scoop her up and take her home.

3:50 - Mia and I head to Children’s Hospital, one mile away. Riding with us was another baby girl born 45 minutes after Mia, and with the same Aortic Stenosis problem. They are even in the same NICU room.

The rest of the day I met with various doctors and nodded my head at some very sophisticated verbiage. In a nutshell, the doctors are collecting more information and are going to put their heads together to make a plan on moving forward. The option of inserting a balloon as a first tactic at bettering Mia's heart has been tossed around, so we shall see if that is further presented. If the balloon (catheter) is used, that would not serve as a cure, but as a potential method to postpone transplant or other serious surgery until Mia has grown. This has already been discussed, so it would surprise me if it is the direction they take, though something less invasive than transplant would be welcome.

10:30 - The decision was made to put a "pick line" in Mia for better access for fluids. The UBU(I think that is what they called it) that is, the lines into the umbilical, were not deep enough and therefore were not reliable enough. Now the pick line will go from the arm into a main artery almost all the way to the heart. This way, medication can be added to the blood stream instantly.

I have to mention that our doctor Suzanne Peterson was awesome. Very kind and skilled. Also, our nurse saved the day. Tami was great as she took charge, was gentle, and was just really on top of things. I think we love Tami.

Thanks to family and friends for all that you have done. I sent out a couple of mass text messages and it was fun to hear all of your support. We are continually grateful. Thanks to a loving Father in Heaven who watches over us, and for the spirit of peace that has brought us comfort and hope. Your prayers have been felt, and surely answered.

Mimi, please make any corrections. My mind has stopped working.

This is Mia's Limo. Her preferred method of travel.

Mia's first car ride!

3 hours old. Sleepy time.


Rachel said...

Thanks for the post...we know you are consumed with Mia and Doctors and appreciate the time you take to update us all at home. You are all in our prayers.

jayna said...

Go baby Mia! She's amazing already!

Rebecca said...

Wow, those details are so interesting. I can't imagine the overwhelming void of not just doing everything for little Mia yourself, but you have great perspective and support. Thanks for the details John!

The Coatney's said...

Thanks for keeping us posted! Little Mia is a fighter and she will get through this. Hang in there guys and if you need anything at all please dont hesistate to call. We love you

Lauri said...

Wow Mimi, I have always known that you are amazing but this surely tops it! How blessed you both are to have each other through this and how truly blessed Mia is to have such wonderful parents. Keep fighting Mia...

TheBastians said...

Wow - you guys, you and your family are in our prayers. So glad I found your blog and can keep updated. We'll be thinking about you!

Liza said...

Congratulations Mimi and John, you two are amazing. Mia is a beautiful little girl and lucky to come to earth to such a wonderful family.

anniewalkfam said...

thanks for all the info. you guys are so great at keeping everyone posted when you have so much to think about it, it's very nice of you. we are continually praying and thankful that mia seems be doing ok. our hearts go out to you and please don't hesitate to call.

The Eggett Family said...

Thanks for the post John, I'm so happy you are keeping us informed. Mimi you are my Hero, such a good Mom and strong person!

I am constantly thinking about sweet little Mia and praying for her, she's so blessed to have such wonderful parents.

Maria said...

Little Mia is adorable! I'm so happy for your family that she is here and breathing all on her own. I've been thinking about you. Thanks for the detailed update. Keep on posting updates and pics for all of us who are so far away... You are both such great parents - Mia is so lucky to have a mom & a dad who care so much for her!

Sarah said...

Yay, she's here! Mia looks absolutely adorable and it sounds like things are going well so far and I hope they just keep getting better. Your sweet little Mia and family are in our prayers and I'm amazed you got all the things you did written, John! I'm totally impressed :) We love you guys!!!

The Worthens said...

Thank you, thank you, John for all the details. Instead of wondering and worrying about what's going on, you keep us up to date. Not only informative but interesting! Very well done! You precious souls remain in our thoughts, prayers, and hearts.

Grandma Conway said...

I'm glad I got to go up to Children's Hospital Tues. night to see a very cute baby named Mia. She is just adorable. Lots of dark hair and I think she looks like Ellie. Hang in there, John and Mimi. So many people are praying for you and baby. Love, Mom Conway

Kelli said...

things in our house are different than yours but I so "feel" your words. That last pic of the baby is so cute, her sleeping.