Aug 28, 2008

A good conversation

Yesterday I was at the bank minding my own business as usual, when I couldn't help but overhear a candid conversation taking place behind me. Neither could I help but notice that this conversation was taking place with a middle-aged gentleman and....himself. I have put much thought to these conversations over the years. In this particular encounter, I felt a little strange (thinking he might feel strange as well, maybe noticing that I noticed that he was talking to no one, and doing it loudly and that oops he didn't realize it but his thoughts were being projected by way of his larynx) and struck up a little conversation with him. He just looked at me like, "dude, you don't just go talking to people in the bank line, weirdo." It hit me that he doesn't realize that he might be the object of our favorite Sesame Street song: "one of these kids is doing his own thing, one of these kids is not the same." Let's be honest, everyone talks to themselves a little bit. Hit your thumb with a hammer, you might yell "idiot!" That is the first step of talking with yourself. But my question is, how does a person go from that, to having full on conversations out loud? Some of the more heated, bitter arguments I have ever witnessed were from people ripping into some imaginary opponent. Are these people reliving a previous altercation or are they creating new ones with some window friend? I also would like to know why these conversations are usually angry ones? Why aren't people talking to themselves more pleasantly? I suppose it is possible that there are a lot of very calm and pleasant one-way conversations going on all around me, but I just am not noticing as much due to the sheer volume of a shouting match. I do enjoy listening in on these rants to some degree. But, I keep my distance. I just want to make sure that if you find yourself saying more than just a couple words out loud, you are just that much closer to crazy.

3 comments:

The Eggett Family said...

I can't say I've had an encounter like that - you must live by some interesting people :)

Brittany Osborn said...

Cracks me up. Why do we talk more to ourselves when we are angry. Maybe we are trying to be Christlike and not take it out on others?

Rachel said...

HIlarious