Sep 21, 2008

Daddy Daughter Date

Mia and I had this weekend all to ourselves. We decided that due to all her hookups and drugs and such, that we would keep our activities limited to the hospital bed and the rocking chair. Friday morning I dropped Mimi and the kids off at the air port for a weekend at Telluride where her youngest sister Boonie was to be married. This gave Mia and I three full days just the two of us. She has had a very good weekend and has done much sleeping. It has been nice to have hours on end where I can hold her with nothing else pulling me in other directions. One of the nurses put Mia on her stomach (I have only seen her on her back or side) and as I had these feelings inside that were saying "That is the single most amazing thing a baby has ever done" I realized that my dad tendencies have kicked in with Mia the same as I feel towards my other two roughnecks. Mia now weighs 8lbs 6oz which is still small but its good that she is putting on some weight. A month ago on Aug. 22nd she was 7lbs 8oz so that is almost a pound in a month. The average baby gains 6.6 oz per week and for the past month that puts Mia gaining 3.5oz per week. Not too bad. The doctors say it is a good sign that she is gaining, that it shows that they are successfully keeping her body as normal as possible while enduring heart failure. And a nurse was saying that there are more heart possibilities if she were a bit bigger. So here we sit patiently waiting. Mimi should be home soon to tell us all about their adventures in Colorado.

6 comments:

anniewalkfam said...

glad you are enjoying your weekend with Mia! You are such a good daddy!

Shila said...

Good job Mia, I know your body is working so hard. Keep up the good work and hang on.

jayna said...

She's well on her way to being nice and roly poly- which I'm sure is exactly how you like your dates to be.

Nathan said...

John,
You are such a good dad and husband. I'm glad you got to spend some good time with her this weekend.

The Eggett Family said...

I'm so glad you were there to take such good care of her!!! I'm also happy that Mimi got a break from the hospital - I can't wait to hear about her trip.

Rebecca said...

What a nice time for daddy and daughter. Not to mention for the other three in CO.