Sep 11, 2008

New Central Line

Thank goodness our beloved aunt Nat took that last picture of her long hair because the nurses shaved off the front and sides of her hair last night. If you understand about moms and their daughters hair, then you understand the ramifications. This was a crushing blow for her to say the least, as she spent the better part of the day crying. It appears that last night Mia's central line (that is used to administer life stabilizing drugs, and whatever else is needed to be introduced into her bloodstream) was compromised due to what they thought was clotting, but upon removal there was no obvious reason for it failing. The good news is that it is out and the new one is in. Her head was shaved in front in order to try and get an iv into her forehead since all efforts for a peripheral line failed, as usual. In the end all the shaving and poking on her head was for naught. They did get a line in the arm during the night, but took it out in the morning because the central line in her chest started working again. This time they ran the new line right into her heart, and it has two heads which allows for better results as far as longevity and flow. Mia actually had to have a more temporary central line put in her groin area so that she could bounce back while they were installing the more permanent line in her heart. Thank goodness my Mom and Sister Anne were here when they wheeled her off to surgery. That is a really tough moment each time. I rushed up to the the hospital to be with Mia when she came out of surgery. Mimi went to the temple with a good friend in order to pray and regroup. Thank you for the prayers. I love all the stories of everyone's kids who pray continually for Mia's heart. I am amazed at how they are concerned at such a young age. Cute. Mia has been out of surgery for an hour and half now and she is looking really good. They had a little scare when too much fluid plugged her breathing tube. Every time I see the doctors and nurses pile into the room for a coded, but obvious emergency, it is like my chest is being sat on by a large elephant. Mimi is so much tougher than I.

7 comments:

Shila said...

Oh John and Mimi, Shane and I just read this post together and got so teary eyed and lump in the throatness. We have put Mia's name in two different temples and feel it and honor to be able to do so. We love you all and continue think and pray about all of your trials at this time.

I heart Max! said...

Oh my poor little baby girl. She is such a trooper! Her beautiful strawberry blonde locks will grow back. As a nurse though, the scariest thing I read was the "elephant on the chest" comment....time for you to go to the doctor! You need an EKG!

Brittany Osborn said...

So sorry. So much to worry about. We are also going to the temple tomorrow. I'll be sure to put you all on the prayer roll. Thanks for the update. Of course we all want an update that a heart is here but are still grateful.

Katie said...

I'm sorry...that's just the pits. Poor Mia and poor Mama! I know I'd be devestated too- all you want is some "normalcy" to all of the chaos in the hospital, again, it's a feeling of no control over what's happening with our babies. Just know you're in my thoughts and prayers and my heart goes out to you. I'll be coming over there on Monday the 22nd with Maddie for a cardiology visit and would love to come see you. I can bring you whatever you need as well (even my OLD wedding video)! My email is katieall@smwireless.net Just let me know!!! Take care :)
Love,
Katie

The Eggett Family said...

Oh Guys - I'm so sorry! Could her New heart just come already!!! Everytime I link to your blog I just hope so bad that I'll see "Mia has a new heart" I can't wait for that day!! I just cannot believe the technology and knowledge the doctors have to continue to keep Mia as strong as possible - it's so overwhelming and complicated, for such a tiny little body. She is just plain adorable, hair or no hair - I know that's easy for me to say, i'm sorry Meems!!! Be strong!

Nathan said...

This post brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could just be there and give you all hugs. It is hard being so far away and not being able to help in any way. I will continue to pray!

leah said...

Man... I think I would have a head full of gray hair. Hang in there... we are always praying for you guys!