Nov 24, 2008

EL PISO

WE MADE IT!!

I am laughing a lot because we are in the very first room on "the floor" which is separated from the ICU by a door. It really is a different world on the other side of the door.

When we got here- there was no nurse to chat with. I have got to know the nursing staff so well in the ICU that they just stop by or say hello when they walk by. I was singing the donkey song (from Shrek) to myself when Sara one of my favorite ICU nurses walked out after transferring us. We had a sad little minute saying goodbye. She was one of the nurses that saw me through the ups and downs of the wait of my lifetime. It was so surreal to actually leave the ICU- and to think that we won't be hanging out together anymore.

When Mia was being wheeled down the hall I was following behind with my video camera. I am a total nerd and had to film everyone's reactions to us leaving. Everyone was so excited for us- it was the happiest/saddest parade down the CICU hallway. She was waving to all her fans- not really- but I know she will miss them all.


These are my home girls! The last couple days Mia has been really popular. We get a lot of "new heart" visitors. Everyone wants to see her awake and happy. Many of these nurses feel a sweet connection to her and brag to the other nurses if they got more smiles than the other. It is fun to reminisce with nurses from when we were first admitted. When Mia was on the bridge I gave her a mastisol bath... total rookie mistake. I felt bad FOREVER! I was trying to be so careful taking off a dressing using what I thought was detachol (adhesive remover). I essentially covered her neck and chest area with liquid glue. I cried. They are packaged the same, but are different colors. We have come a long long way since the mastisol bath- even though I have finally forgiven myself- some of the staff like to remind me ;-)

This is Candice- I am going to miss her the MOST! She just donated her long hair- Love her!


We also got to meet Katie and Bryan- Maddie's parents. Maddie is darling! Hopefully someday soon we can get these little heart babies together. Katie wheeled in an entire wagon of Maddie blankets and brought a special one for Mia. This girl is wonderful and is always sending/bringing gifties for me and Mia. This is my huge "we're headed to the floor today" cheesy grin. The hair bow is compliments of the nurse trying to hide the IV in her scalp.


I never want to forget this day- we aren't home, but we are one step closer!

19 comments:

Yergensen Family said...

WAHOO! Congrats on the move! So happy for your family!

Lykins Zoo Keeper said...

WooHoo!!!!! One step closer to home!! Your smile is contagious.

Steven and Whitney said...

I am so happy for Mia! Congratulations on such a big move--one step closer to HOME.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

that was a wonderful post! i could feel the excitement! i'm so happy for your guys and cant' wait to see you again tomorrow! keep up the good healing mia (and mimi too!)

Rebecca said...

What a big day! I want to scoot up there, but I'm sick! I love that bow on her head in the last picture, he, he. Someday she's going to be like, "Moooooommmm." Anyway, many congrats! Un besito para la nena.

Izabell said...

yea! what a big day! Too funny we video taped the walk to the floor too! we lost the video when our camera card broke so hurry up and download it okay! we are so happy for you guys and hope that Mia continues to do wonderfully well! Go Mia go!

~wyndi & Izabell

Stephanie said...

Hooray!!!! I am so happy for you all and especially Mia! One step closer to home...stay strong Mia!! yOu're doing great!

Riley Family said...

Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous! What a blessing it is to have the help, friendship and bonding moments with those around us when we are going through such hard times. What a family that has been formed at that hospital and through these blogs. Hurray for all of you!

Erin said...

What an EXCITING day! I'm so happy for you guys. I bet all those nurses are going to miss little Mia so much....and you too! You'll be home so soon! I can't wait, I'm so excited for you! What are Mia's restrictions when you get home? Will you be on complete 'house arrest?'

Katie said...

I'm still smiling for you...what an exciting day! It was SO FUN getting to finally meet you in person and visit and to especially see Mia!!!! She is so adorable and the cutest ever, especially those cheeks- totally made my day yesterday! I'm so looking forward to future playdates with these girls and watching them grow up with their very special hearts :) Hope you got some rest on the floor last night and sorry again for not coming up to the floor- man, I wish we could have gotten a picture of these girls...someday soon!
Much love and hugs to you,
Katie

Rachel said...

Congrats on your new address! I'm so happy for the great success.

The Coatney's said...

yay! congratulations! i can't wait until she's home and i get to come over and see her, and hold her and maybe kiss her through a mask since my kids ALWAYS have colds. love you meem. let me know if i can do anything down here for you. come home soon. i miss you. baby emily wants to kick for you.

The Hands said...

Oh, I just remember how that day felt when we took our baby to that exact same room after being in the CICU for 3 months. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face. It's a LOT different on the floor, but will transition you into going "home." (Do I dare mention the word?) Now it's your turn to be the mommy and tell the nurses what your baby needs. You are her biggest advocate! Stay close and love on her all you can. Bring the other kids and have a family reunion! I'm so excited for you!
Angie

Beth said...

Hip Hip Hooray! So when can I come visit? I called but no answer. I am so happy for you, your family and Mia.

The Eggett Family said...

SOOOOO EXCITING!!! WAY TO GO MIA!!! What a trooper, she has come so far, and endured so much. You and John have been through so much and handled the whole situation being so brave and optimistic. I am so happy for all of you!!! One step closer to home!! That will be an exciting but sad day I'm sure. I can imagine how much all of those nurses just love you and little Mia. I guess it's good you are so close so that you can visit and they can visit lots. I'm so happy for you guys!

Clenece said...

That is awesome! I can't wait to see how things go!

babyjane said...

Yeah...I have been waiting to hear this...this means you are out of the woods right?

Brad and Natalia said...

Hey Mimi- This is Natalia Bonner, Brad's wife, just wanted to let you know that we watch your blog daily and it brings tears to our eyes every single day! We are cheering you and baby Mia on and are so happy that things are going so well. We wish you much joy and happiness in the future:)
~Brad & Natalia Bonner:)

CANDS said...

haha you always crack me up in your blogs! and i would totally love it if you are able to email me these pics, esp the one of me with little miss mia! also i think its hilarious that you put a bow on her in the other pic to block her 'unicorn horn' hehe. shes still so adorable!! love that little girl!! :)