Nov 13, 2008

Miss Wide Awake

First of all, these are the two wonderful surgeons that operated on Mia. I can't say enough about them! They are amazing! They avoided me in the CICU because they knew how my heart raced when they came around. Dr. Permit (on right) would cover his face when he walked past our room, trying not to disappoint me. When I first saw them after the surgery and gave them huge hugs- I had to restrain myself from trying to pick them up. That might have been a little strange for them- but with how I felt I am sure I could of at least got their feet off the ground! It takes a unique person to go to school for EVER and spend their days saving lives.

I just wanted to show how many drugs are running through my tiny little girl. Some of these are just maintenance fluids, but it is A LOT of medicine. They have to concentrate her meds to keep her fluids low enough. Notice the IV pole overflow (the pump at the very bottom). She also has two pumps next to her warmer- some of these will be gone in the next couple days. They just removed the wires from her heart... it feels so great to have things OUT!

Mia has beeen wide awake- I can't believe it! Last night she was awake for hours just looking around. She is feeling much better and spending a lot of time looking around- LOVE IT! This is probably the last pic you'll see of her with the ventilator. Yep, you heard me right, they are weaning it, and it should be gone by tomorrow. Yay Mia!!

Ok- many of you have asked me where I was when I found out. Well, you'll just have to wait! JUST KIDDING.

I was in Mia's room- suctioning yucky stuff out of her mouth(I think she knew her angel heart was coming) when I got the call. It went something like this:

Unit Coordinator: Is Mia's mom in the room?
Me: Yeah
UC: May I transfer a call back?
Me: Of course....
Phone: ring, ring
Me: Hello?
Kelly: (transplant coordinator): Hi mimi, it's Kelly
Me: Oh Hi. (at this point I couldn't think of who kelly was- they know not to call me unless they were calling with good news ;-).
Kelly: One of the transplant coordinators.
Me: Hi- (Heart stopped beating.)
Kelly: I just wanted to let you know that we accepted a heart for Mia.
Me:
Me:
Me:
Me:
Me: REALLY? Immediate sobbing!
Kelly: Yes, we did. (at this point she said something else, but I couldn't hear anything).
Me: Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok (in a panicked voice)
Me: REALLY? Still sobbing.
Kelly: Well, I have a lot of calls to make but I will call you back soon.
Me: Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok oh, oh... THANK YOU... ok ok, THANK YOU, ok ok ok, Bye.

Then I hung up the phone and ran to the nurse hyperventilating. She wasn't quite sure what had happened because I had been shaking my head and sobbing like I was really sad or something. When I told her "Mia got her heart" she hugged me tighter and we just cried for awhile. Did I mention I LOVE the nurses. Mia has been here for so long that they all have pet names for her. This nurse calls her "moma" it is so sweet. When Mia is sad she will say, "oh, I know moma, I know moma." Some of the nurses just love her like she was their own. I need to get a picture of her because she was the one with me for the experience that I have been daydreaming about for what seems like forever. My cell phone was in my car, so I borrowed the unit coordinators and started running through the hospital. My sister Nat had been here all day and had just barely left- I called her after I called John and she came right back. I called my mom, and went back to her room to stare at her until I was able to hold her. It was the most magical night! I will never forget how I felt- it was incredible.

28 comments:

Sheri said...

I got all teary eyed reading this post - I can't even imagine the emotions that you must have gone through after the phone call. She is such a little cutie. I can't wait to see photos of her without the ventilator. It will be hard, I'm sure, for some of those nurses when you leave - although they will be extremely happy for you!

Erin said...

Oh the TEARS! I can just imagine you in that moment! I know what I did when I found out the good news....and I'm not even her mom. My heavens...I've not even met the angel yet! Wow Mimi! What a wonderful day.

Can't wait to see pictures of Mia's sweet face without the ventilator. Have they given you a timeline for how much longer she'll be in the hospital? Thanks for sharing this.....I couldn't wait to hear! Love you Meem! Your baby girl has changed me....what an amazing spirit she has!

Rachel said...

Look at that pink skin!! Truly amazing! She looks fabulous.

Sarah said...

Oh, she could not be sweeter! She looks so good, Mimi! I am so excited for her to get to be off of the ventilator! What great news :) I am still all teary eyed after reading about you getting the phone call, I am so grateful to you for sharing all of your experiences through all of this. It has really touched me. I know how I felt when I read that you had gotten the call, I can't even imagine how you felt as her mommy in that moment!! :)

Jennifer said...

Amazing! What amazing experiences you are having! I LOVE all the updates!!

ChristophersHeart said...

Oh my gosh, I just cried my eyes out reading that post. I don't know you but I am another heart momma and I can only imagine how you felt during that phone call what an amazing overwhelming moment that must have been.

Mia is just so beautiful and so are your other kids. I am so thrilled for this wonderful gift for Mia and for all of you.
Wendy

Baseballs and Tutu's said...

I literally just sat here reading this and I have chills all over my body and tears in my eyes! I never knew it was possible to love someone that you had never even met or had no connection to whatsoever. I just want you to know that Mia has made such a difference in my life!

What an absolutely gorgeous picture of Mia with her beautiful eyes open. I just can't wait to see her without the ventilator! What incredibly strides she's making..hopefully after tomorrow she'll never need a ventilator again!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your life and Mia's with me! I am very grateful!

Of course I will continue to keep your entire family and especially Mia in my prayers as I have every day since I found you all!

Dennis, Crystal and Audrey said...

I got goosebumps reading this. I can't even begin to imagine how you felt. I was so excited and felt relieved when I heard the news. I would like to put a book together for Mia of the blog and all the comments are you interested? It's amazing to see how many people she has touched!

Love ya

Crystal

Michelle Stone said...

Mimi I know we don't know eachother, but I feel like I've known you my whole life.
Your story touched my soul. I sat here praying everyday she would get a heart, I told everyone I knew about Mia, and I felt elated and saddened (for the obvious event that lead to this wonderful heart) when I heard she got her heart, and hearing your reaction just make me cry like a baby!
We love baby Mia.

Kevin and Andrea said...

I too was wondering where you were when "the call" came in. I can not even imagine the joy you felt to hear that news. We are rooting for Mia nad are so thrilled for you guys! More posts! More posts! P.S. Once again I am reading this bawling like a little baby! (But they are HAPPY TEARS!)

Kirstin said...

I just read this post over about 3 times, trying to imagine what it was like being there getting the call. I am so happy for you... still can't imagine the emotions you had at that moment, let alone all the emotions you have had before and after! I am so looking forward to pictures of sweet Mia without the ventilator and tubes... Mimi, thanks for all the updates... I check about 10 times a day! Still praying for your family.

Katie-Mom from Iowa said...

Another mom I know posted a message a few weeks ago about little Mia so I read about her then and have been checking your blog everyday and praying for some good news. I was so, so excited to hear the GREAT news! My thoughts and prayers will continue for Mia and your family as she recovers. Thank you so much for all your posts. I went back and read all about Mia.........cried for about 2-3 hours straight doing it but have just had lots of happy tears this week! :)

The Eggett Family said...

Once again I just cried as I read this post! Such a priceless story. I could feel your utter and complete shock and excitement as you told about the phone call. What a GREAT MOMENT! That is so fun that Mia has been so wide awake and looking around. I bet you and Mia can't hardly wait to get the ventilator out, and all that tape off her face. It looks so uncomfortable. I can't believe all of the medicine that is going into her tiny little body. I can't wait until you get to hold her!!! Post more pictures soon...I love to see pictures of her.

The Eggett Family said...

I too am SO grateful for surgeons that are willing to go to school for SOOOOO long to be able to save lives. What amazing men!! I bet they love their job. What would we do without such smart and dedicated people?!?!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

hearing that story again totally made me bawl, again! i think i was mostly speechless (which you know is unlike me) and crying when John told me..i barely remember! it's so wonderful! have you talked to kelly again since then? i love that she is so awake and no more vent soon. i can't wait to get back up there and hold her...after you of course! :) love you guys!

A change of Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Wow! I loved hearing about you getting the call. Oh the joy you felt. I cannot even imagine what you have been through and I am so happy for you and little Mia. I love you guys.

Steven and Whitney said...

Look at Mia's color--she is so pink and healthy looking now! I was looking at pictures before surgery and the picture of her after with her eyes wide open. She already looks so much happier. I'm sure her little body is so relieved. Hang in there. You're the strongest family I know.

Carrie Hellewell said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story! With every new post, I tear up for joy. I'm so happy that she is doing well and getting off the ventilator today. We love you guys so much!

chaddarack said...

God Bless you and your family. You deserve it. John was one of my most upbeat companions that I had in Argentina. Sounds like he still is. I'm glad I found you guys. My wife and I will be praying that your blessings continue to flow.

The Hands said...

Mia looks so Pink! This comes from a mom with a "blue baby" still. I just can't wait to see those chubby little cheeks without tape and being all scrunched up! Thanks for sharing your emotions as well as the facts.
Angie

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Ok. I couldn't even read that without immediate sobbing! Every baby holds a special place in my heart - i think it's something that just happens after you become a mom and can understand that true and precious love for your own children. I am still beyond excited for Mia.
She looks so pink in the picture - super great! I know you all will be so grateful to have the vent removed - I know we will are all excited to see pics of Mia without it!!! What a super sweet little girl!!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate you all letting us follow along in this wonderful time in your lives!!!
Amanda in SC

Talia said...

Yay Dr. Permit! Our girls are so similar because he is the one tthat did Sophia's repair.I am so excited to hear she is doing well and I will continue to pray for her recovery!

Shila said...

Thank you for sharing your moment! I loved it! It is great to hear about tubes being removed! That is one thing that I wanted to do so much when I saw her, was to take all those tubes off of her, cradle her in my arms and run out the door. I'm sure I would not have gotten too far though. Happy Days for you and Mia!

Deana said...

Mimi,
Everytime you post, I read with such excitement, anticipating every word. You are a great writer!!! You express yourself so well. Like I've said, I have come to know you better through reading you raw emotions. You bring tears to my eyes every day. No ventilator, how terrific!! Go Mia, go Mia! Thanks so much for sharing this life altering event.

Jane Anne said...

Oh, the tears you must have shed! I can only imagine. YOU words made me cry and I a not a crier! Thanks for sharing the story of the phone call. This will all have to be printed and put in a baby book for sweet Mia.

Kaidence's Mommy said...

I hope you don't mind but I copied your "heart facts" to my blog. How interesting and how much hope it gives us heart parents. So happy for you!!!

Stephanie M Larsen said...

I love this post! Thank you for sharing. How magical!