Dec 18, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things...

Christmas is here. I LOVE Christmas!

The kids have been busy doing all things Christmas. We pulled out all of our fun Christmas decorations only to discover a wonderful Christmas surprise. Many of our decorations were soaked. I couldn't figure out why everything was so soggy. I unwrapped the big snow globe (it was bubble wrapped to the max) and everything seemed to be intact. Upon closer observation, all of the water leaked out somehow covering many of our beloved decorations. OH WELL. I tend to go a little overboard decorating for Christmas so there was plenty of holiday festoonage that made it unscathed.

After decorating the fireplace Jense asked, "Mom! How does Santa get out of there?" hmmmm... good question. I find myself saying "Santa's Magic" at least twice a day.

The kids decorated the tree this year. We have never had a theme to our tree. The tree consists of all the random decorations we have collected over the years. I am really attached to our ornaments and I get all excited when we unwrap them. If our house were on fire- my Christmas Ornaments would be up there on the list of things to try and grab before running out of the door. Yes, I have a list.

A new addition to our tree this year are these sweet little angels. We are so thankful for our donor angel and thought these ornaments were a good reminder of what a wonderful gift our family was given.
I can't say that snow is one of my favorite things, but I do love it for the first little while. I do however love kids in the snow. Snow tends to bring out the little kid in many adults. My husband is out taking advantage of how an automobile can spin around in the snow. He also never fails to throw a snow ball aimed at my head. He has passed on his love for the snow to Jense, who wants to go sledding constantly. He also gives me weather reports throughout the day on the snow status. I will say this about snow in WA- the state shuts down. No one wants to drive in the snow except ME. I love how there is zero traffic when it is snowing. Last year I did the majority of my shopping while it was snowing.

Now this is commitment. She really wanted to catch snow in her mouth, but didn't want to get it in her eyes. Why is this girl not wearing a coat? Who is her mom?
Unfortunately we have only made a gingerbread house and decorated cookies. Christmas activities have not been as plentiful as years past, the kids don't seem to notice.

My Faaaaavorite edible thing about Christmas is all of the delicious candy cane + white chocolate/ milk chocolate/ toffee combinations. Andes mints have a delicious version, Ghirardeli peppermint bark is to die for, and the candy cane roca... yes please!

What Holiday favorite list would be complete with out these two girlies. Ellie is enamored with her little sister. My mom and I spend half of our energy helping Ellie love Mia and the other half talking care of Mia. I am sure the need to be involved will wear off, and I will be begging her to bring me a diaper. I definitely got my Christmas wish early- and honestly don't feel like I need another Christmas gift EVER. More to come on Mia.


We have been listening to Christmas music non stop! No, not from my I-Pod- that has been lost since the dance festival. Hey, dance festival peeps- have you seen it? It was loaded with awesome Christmas music...sniff sniff. Soooo we have been feeling the Christmas spirit compliments of the Holiday Classics channel on the TV. I really love all Christmas music. Ok, there is one song that I could do without. My little sister and I share a distaste for "simply having a wonderful Christmas time." I don't know why- it just bugs. My favorite song is "Oh Holy night." My Christmas isn't complete without hearing Jennifer C (friend from church) sing this song. She is amazing! I think music is what makes the holiday!

Ok- what are your favorites?

15 comments:

Princess Pookie said...

I can't stand the songs "Christmas in the Northwest" & "I jest go nuts at Christmas". The first one makes me want to vomit and the second makes me want to poke my eye out. Hmm..Christmas Favs...SHOPPING:), Christmas lights, giddy children & attending special Holiday evetns. Kels Christmas progam cancelled due to snow...boohoo! Stupid snow. BTW: I'm the only one who knows how to drive in the snow! You should see Peeps try to parallel park in the snow.

Lauri said...

I DID NOT try to parallel park in the snow, that is just plain mean! But I totally thought of both of you when I was parellel parking the other day in Sumner (ya know, shopping with NO kids!) Kidding but I truly suck at driving in the snow. I turn into this little old lady! Jo Dee drives like she is missing a sale at Nordstroms and runs everone else off the road JK there too!

I love Christmas too. On Oprah's show last night she talked about Christmas music and they are giving away a CD's worth of download that ends tonight.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

i also love Oh Holy Night. I love the lights and playing in the snow with my famiy. i love the baking even though my baking will be minimal this year. I love decorating and looking through all the things we have collected over the years and remembering when we got it or memories attached to it!I just love the spirit and magic of the whole season. I'm so glad you got your best Christmas present. Love the picture of Ellie and Mia! Merry Christmas!

Steven and Whitney said...

O Holy Night is my very favorite Christmas song. I can cry no matter who sings it. The song is just beautiful. My favorite movie is White Christmas (Christmas wouldn't be the same without it). I have pictures of you and me standing outside trying to catch snowflakes in our mouths too! Needless to say, we were MUCH older (WHS) than Ellie is but it's a fun thought anyway. Enjoy your all of your little angels this Christmas and have a wonderful holiday--you deserve it. Love ya Meems!

Suzie said...

Mims- I need to come to your house for Christmas! Either that or I'm going to need to round up some of the yummies when we get home in Feb. I can't believe that you forgot to mention our favorite Christmas song, The Twelve Days of Christmas. I seem to remember having made up a dance to that with you. I loved our French Hens move, that was the best. You were right about simply having a wonderful christmas time. Lets just hope that is not stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Shelley Eggett said...

My favorites are cozy nights at home with nummy Christmas Treats, and watching the snow fall outside. The Christmas Tree and the cozy feeling it brings, Christmas music, and Excited Kids!! Also, I love going to Christmas Parties and White Elephants.

All your pictures are super cute. For us, I really don't think the obsession wears off much with a new sibling, it's more that the baby just becomes less fragile so I don't worry so much. One day you will look back and realize the sweetness of it all. I love your Angel ornaments. They are perfect!!

Merry Christmas!

Brenda said...

What a fun post! I love all the food at Christmas...esp anything chocolate! Truffles...YUM!

Brenda said...

Oh, and one more thing...all the cute stuff the kids make at school. :)

Shila said...

Come to think of it, that song is dorkin it! True that! Anyways, I love Wham, Last Christmas and Of course Mary did you know? That song makes me tear up every time.

Riley Family said...

Love the pictures and updates!! I was hoping to be able to drop by on the 27th, I have simple Christmas present for your little ones and one isn't seomthing I can mail. I would also LOVE to see you all and sweet baby Mia!!! I am so glad that she is adjusting. Will you be around on the 27th??? Comment on my blog and let me know and we'll arrange a quick visit. Merry Christmas!!!!

Izabell said...

your children are so cute! we hope you have a wonderful holiday and that this weather gets a little better! I'm not a fan of the cold hoping everyone a safe weekend~wyndi and Izzy

Carrie Hellewell said...

You need to go to Pandora.com, it's like radio on the internet. You can play any kind of holiday music non-stop without commercials. I've been addicted.

Beth said...

Can I say that I love your posts? I love your pictures and you always make me laugh. Speaking of tasty things to eat at Christmas time did you get my toffee? I was sad that I missed you. Have a Merry Christmas!!

Rachel said...

My Christmas isn't complete without Jennifer C's "O Holy Night" either!! She sang it two Sunday's ago and I loved it!!! She's amazing and I love that song. I wish I had a diaper rash remody to share, but I don't. I do have some savve (sp?) that worked well on Lauren...my rashy girl. You can try that. It's all natural...I'll look for it and call you.

CANDS said...

lets see..."oh come emmanuel" and "what child is this" rank up there. although "oh holy night" always does too! thanks for your fun blogs!!