Dec 7, 2008

We're H-O-M-E HOME!


A few days shy of Mia turning five months old, she finally got to come home. I found out I was pregnant over a year ago- A YEAR! Big Sigh.... I am soooo glad to be home.

I pulled up to our house with the kids jumping up and down in the front yard. They ran to the car and I had to do some convincing for them to allow me to pull into the driveway. We had a warm reception with flowers, cards- and WONDERFULLY CLEAN house (thanks RS sisters). My sister-in-law Beebs decorated our house with a big 'welcome home Mia' banner, and balloons galore. The amazing thing about this girl is she had a baby LAST WEEK. Thank you so much!

There has definitely been a learning curve to being home. Between my mom and I we were up last night at 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, and 6. It was a laooooong night. Mia of course sleeps right through all of the drug administering and feeding schedule. During her 3 o'clock feed- her NG tube came out. I could not find the spare that the hospital sent us home with. After looking for a long time I started to stress out because her feed was way overdue. I decided to sanitize her old one and try to shove that one back down. If you have never placed an NG tube down your infants throat- thank your lucky stars! It is torture. Well, Ok- it isn't always torture, but it was last night. The old tube was so flimsy from being in her that we could not get it down to her stomach. To place an NG tube you have to shove a small tube (you've seen in most her pics) down to her stomach through her nose. Simple enough? Last night after shoving and shoving the end came through her mouth twice, out of her other nostril once, and somewhere in her throat, but not into her stomach the last time. After realizing that if I couldn't get this down we would be headed back to the hospital because she has to eat; I decided to check all the bags one more time for our spare. I finally found it in my bed room in a bag that Jensen brought up stairs trying to be helpful. I got the new NG tube down and Mia got her milk.

My sweet mother is experiencing more than her fare share of sadness. I never thought the words "hold her down mom" would ever leave my lips. She is an angel- and the only person on the planet that has prevented me from dropping into the fetal position many times. I know, I know- but these last months have been traumatizing and I am so thankful for the mother/daughter bond we have.

I revamped her ativan/morphine wean so we are not constantly giving her meds. We have so many meds on top of the wean, that we were literally giving meds every two hours.

Today my mom said that we are Lucy and Ethel. It's true! We're running around trying to figure to get a handle on pumps, get her vitals taken, and trying not to use a mop to wipe her face. I mistakenly grabbed a mop cover thinking it was washcloth. Meds are getting pushed through her tube while we are still clamping it- forcing the med out of the other port. Ellie likes to be in the mix so she was the unfortunate one to be covered by prevacid when it came spraying out of the tube. Luckily it wasn't one of her heart meds- that wouldn't have been funny. Now that we are well on our way to day 2 we are feeling much more confident.

I am sure there will be many more adventures a la Mia. The good news is- some of the medications will taper off and we will just have her immuno-suppressant drugs to deal with. That will be NICE. I will get some photo's up soon.

While we were bringing in bags after bags Jensen lifted his hands way above his head and said..."MOM- now we can be a happy family!!!" He waited for that day for so long!

*This pic is of my daddy who happens to be Mia's #1 fan. He finally got to hold her- that was a good day. I have a feeling that she will get whatever she wants from her "papa".

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

Woo-hoo! I'm so happy for you! The adventures sure are a-plenty!

ChristophersHeart said...

Welcome home!! What a wonderful moment that must have been pulling into the driveway and all of you being together, finally.

Lots of hugs, sounds like you are doing great!!

So glad you are home at last!

Brimaca said...

Yay! Glad you are home. I can't imagine how excited you are to be back with your other kiddies as well. We'll keep praying that you can deal with all the stresses and that Mia will keep healing.

Hilary said...

Yea for HOME!!! I am so happy for you. MIRACLE!!! Much love, Hilary Cook

The Simmons Family said...

I am SO excited for you to FINALLY be home!! Enjoy the holidays at HOME!!

Andrea

Rebecca said...

Yikes Meem, sounds like a lot to grasp! I didn't think it was going to be so hairy, I thought you knew it all! Well, you do know it all, but I guess I just thought you could do it all in your sleep. Thinking of you all!

Izabell said...

welcome home Mia!! what wonderful news!
wyndi

Rachel said...

Welcome home...sounds like a comedy of errors that first night/day. I'm so glad it's going well and you are all home together. This is so wonderful you are writing this all down because with the sleep deprevation you probably won't remember these moments next week. And Mia is going to love reading this when she gets older!!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

yay for being home! your lil' Jens is such a cutie! how wonderful you have your mom there to help you! and just know it will get easier as you settle into a groove. love you all...remember we're only a phone call away.

Family Scads said...

Home is so exciting and scary at the same time. I could not have done it without help. Bless your mother! Everyone would ask if I was sick of company (we had a lot last year) and I would immediately say no because I needed the help! I know that you can do this. I did...and I am a basket case! Good luck. Lots of prayer your way.

Sarah said...

Hooray!!!! I am so happy that you are all finally home together :) I am also so, so, so glad that your mom is there with you. I can't imagine doing anything like that without my mom, they're just.... well, our moms :) Good luck with all of the adjustments, I know you will do it all like the superstar you are, Meems!

Erin said...

Welcome Home! It's been a long time coming! Sounds a little crazy having her home, but I know you will adjust to this new normal. Thank Heavens she is home and doing so well. It can only get easier and better. Practice makes perfect, right? And soon enough she'll only have a few meds. Until then hang in there. I'm so glad your mom is there to help you, what would we do with out our Mama's?

You are amazing Mimi, and I admire you in so many ways. So happy you FINALLY have your baby home with you, what a perfect Christmas gift!
Loves!

Miller Family said...

Welcome Home. Hang in there. I am sure you will get into a groove with the med routine. What a sweet picture of your dad and Mia!
Michelle

The Eggett Family said...

Wow, What a night!!! My heart was racing as you were telling about the night you had. Poor Mom!! Poor Mia!! and Poor Grandma!!! You will get the hang of all this and be a natural before you know it. I'm so glad you are home, and that Your Mom and Dad are there to help!! Mia looks amazing - Is she just loving life at home? Love ya

Clenece said...

Congrats & best of luck with the hard sleepless nights from here on out! We are so excited for you guys!

CANDS said...

oh how wonderful! im glad we got one more chance to see each other! she is absolutely beautiful, i just cant say it enough, it just makes me so happy!!! and your stories are pretty funny...good luck...im sure you will have more silly stories from home :) but i know you will handle it all well!! thanks for sharing your little girl with us. take care! :) oh and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! (perfect gift right?! haha!)

jayna said...

Seriously, those might be the most fancy/rare/expensive drugs that have ever been freely sprayed on a 'helpful' big sister! At least you and your Mom are keepin' it real. I hope you are shoving a lot of chocolates into your mouths (i.e. Lucy and Ethel).

So relieved and ecstatic that you have Mia home. Good luck during the coming transition weeks!

Katie said...

So, so excited for you! Welcome home Mia and happy 5 months old too :) What a relief to have your folks here to help out. I'm sure you're enjoying every minute of the chaos of getting settled back in. Now you can be a happy family...how precious is that.

K & K said...

You are doing such a great job of caring for Miss Mia, and you passed the big test. You sunk an NG tube without nursing support! Yippee Wahoo! Great job! I am proud of you! I look forward to reading and seeing pictures of your new life, with a new baby heart. Keep up the great work!

Lykins Zoo Keeper said...

Mimi, I am so happy that you are both home. What a wonderful Christmas present!! Enjoy being home and having all your sweet family under one roof. Merry Christmas! Love to all. - Jenny

Stephanie M Larsen said...

Love this picture of your dad! Best news ever! I've been getting updates from Annalisa, she's so great and love you guys so much! I'm was so excited to hear the news! Wonderful. Our family is all so happy for you guys.