Jan 26, 2009

I don't think we are getting through to him

Mimi and I have spent a lot of time lately trying to figure out how to get through to our children who seem to be immune to the obvious strategies of parenting. here are two of my most recent attemps:

John: Jensen, if I come home from work and see your toys spread out on the floor for me to step on, I am going to have to throw them away.
Jensen: OK dad. (He picks up his Remote Control car from the floor and tosses it in the trash)
John: Doh!

On the way to church today...
John: Jensen, are you going to be a good boy in Sunday School Class today?
Jensen: Yep.
John: What do you think I should do for punishment if you are naughty?
Jensen: You could throw me in the ocean so that the sharks eat me.
John: DOH!

He has out-manuvered me each time! Ellie sticks to her simple stall tactics. "I will in a minute daddy." "I need to go potty first daddy." Things like that.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Haha, your kids sound an awful lot like mine! They are too cute and so, so smart :) Also, love your post about Mimi, John. You two are so our favorites! I also have no idea how miss Mimi does it all!

Cindy said...

Those are hilarious! Where did he come up with the ocean thing? What types of threats are you using with them? (just kidding) Our youngest, to show us that he's in control, tells me after he does something naughty, "I am going to my room in time out!!" He must think that shows me!

Shelley Eggett said...

Seriously all those parenting tactics that they tell you to use, just don't work half the time. I've tried the same thing on my girls, with the toy thing and they could have cared less if I threw it away.

A nice one for me that actually worked today was when Maleah was calling me stupid and saying that she just didn't like her family, I got out a duffle bag and started packing her clothes. She FREAKED out!! I said, "Surely you don't want to live with a family that you just don't like, so I thought I'd pack your clothes and let you go try to find a new family that you like better" She started crying and saying, I do like my family, I don't want a new family. Anyways, her attitude was quick to change after that one.

Good Luck with those little smarties.

Anne said...

I had that exact thing happen with Eli. He just started throwing his toys away!

Shila said...

That is so funny, isn't it just so hard not to laugh. You are so furious inside and yet the smile comes to your face in spite of it all. I have been wondering how to get Asher to stop getting ontop of the kitchen table and pouring out all of the salt and pepper. He only shakes them faster, while I am stomping over, to see how much he can get out before I get to him. If you have tackled this problem let me know how you did it!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

oh man...he is one hilarious kid. that's funny, we've been threatening those same punishments of confiscating or throwing toys away. amazing how sometimes they don't care! love ellie's tactics too!

Jennifer said...

If find something that works, please share the good news!

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Oh yes - this so sounds like my 2 yr old son. I said something about throwing his little car away the other day if he didn't pick it up...a few mintues later he walked over and got it and threw it in the trash...so yes I know JUST how you feel!!!!

Rebecca said...

Classic. That is hilarious.

Heather and Tim said...

I love reading your blog! I love quotes from kids! And these are just hilarious! :) Your kiddos are so cute. We miss them!