Jan 28, 2009

Lately...


Lately we (Mia and I) have been driving to Seattle like someones life depended on it! ;-) The drive isn't that bad if you minus the traffic, and the cute baby girl's uncanny ability to lose her feeding tube while I am driving on the freeway. I definitely have a new appreciation for commuters. Bless your hearts! One fabulous thing about the long drive is listening to the music of MY CHOICE! Usually the kids dictate what songs they must listen to... Mia doesn't have any strong opinions yet.


Her appointments are going well. She is down a few medications, hallelujah! She still has her feeding tube aka ( the torture tube). She will take some milk by bottle, but only breast milk. She is not interested in the formula. Unfortunately I am not making enough milk for her, so her oral feedings aren't going so hot. Due to her medications and the effects it would have on her system, I cannot take supplements to try and stimulate my supply. Ok, you probably all didn't need to know that. However, I try to keep in mind that one reader that might think, "why doesn't she just take fenugreek, or fennel etc?" So, I threw that in there for you- whoever you are. Moving on.... I want more than anything to have her feeding tube out. She can take a bottle OK, but the formula is so foul. I don't know what to do... I think I may try using all of the supplements for two weeks trying to increase production. I just don't want to backtrack with the progress she has made. Any suggestions?? Why isn't there a tasty formula out there? Last night, I told John it couldn't be that bad. I asked him to try it with me- he gave me a "have you lost your mind?" look. I poured some into a little cup and took a sip. Surely there must of been a mistake at the plant...it was disgusting! Poor baby. I don't know what to do for her feeds. We are getting some feeding therapy, but the bigger problem is what we are actually feeding her.




Lately, Mia is the happiest baby on the planet. She gives out smile after smile. She even smiles at people walking past her(who are not trying to get her attention). I love this kid! We are the luckiest parents to have such a sweet and easy baby. She sleeps like a champ- and when she's not sleeping she spends her time smiling- it's fabulous!




Lately, Mia has discovered her thumbs and knee caps.


Lately we have been addicted to Wii fit. I love Wii Fit! After the kids are in bed John and I spend hours going back and forth trying to beat our top scores. There is a lot of trash talking, and victory dancing going on during our Wii Fit challenges. My favorites are table tilt, the bubble game, and ski jump. I have yet to beat John's score at soccer...he has a perfect score. John isn't able to touch any of my Yoga scores- naturally. According to Wii fit' "Balance isn't my forte." The game is great at handing out insults. I am impressed with the variety of ways it can tell you that you are out of shape, uncoordinated, and have bad posture. Now that we have been playing for awhile the insults have subsided. It's fun to unlock games, and try something just once more- even though your legs are shaking. However, in a lot of ways it isn't motivating AT ALL. When I turned it on a few nights ago- it greeted me with this fabulous news....

Thanks Wii Fit!! Thanks!



ooo... another game that we are also slightly addicted to is DR. MARIO! This is my favorite childhood game. We play this when we just want to sit and play at the same time. This game results in continual wagers for back rub minutes. Unfortunately, even though this is MY game from MY youth. John is much better at it than me. Why??? I have played it so many more times than him! It seems like every time I throw out "double or nothin" it aways backfires. You can also play this with people via the Internet- I have played a few times with one of my friends- who now is addicted as well. John likes to make fun of me for singing the same chants to the music from when I was younger. Thank you creators of the Wii for making our time on "House Arrest" more enjoyable.


Lately, The kids have been up to no good!! They are wondering where all of their friends have gone. Their imagination is growing and growing. Here is their latest adventure. Superman with his Barbie princess in the fort. Ellie really wanted me to put baby in there for her to take care of. If only it were that simple.



Lately, Jense and Elvis have been in creating mode. This is the birthday cake they made while I was trying to feed Mia. I am impressed they fit so many candles into that one tiny cookie. Due to the birthday obsession, Jense knows how to light a match now. We had to give him the "that could burn the house down" talk.

Lately, John and I have been brushing up on our Lindy Hop skills.... it's been a long time! No picture :-)
Lately, we are happy just to be at home

31 comments:

Chris and Tammy said...

I feel your pain Mimi. I too think my milk supply is running low. I have 3 cans of formula I have been trying to get Rylee to try. She wont touch any of it. She wont take a bottle for anything. I have gotten her to take a sippy cup a little bit, with some water, but just a little sip here or there. I am at a loss of what to do. I can give you some scoops from my three cans to try.

Abbie said...

When I had to switch from Similac Sensitive to the Isomil (soy) Ella, my daughter, wouldn't even touch it. I too thought it smelled (and tasted... I did it too) terrible. So I would do 3 ounces Sensitive and 1/2 an ounce of the new formula. Have you tried that? Just introducing it in extremely slow amounts and then slowly upping it over a period of days?

Is she on Alimentum by chance? That stuff does taste and smell terrible. Good luck!

Brimaca said...

This post was awesome! The pic of her is sooooooo adorable. I want to hold her so bad! Other than my own children I don't think I have ever wanted to hold a baby so much. Her smile.....sigh. :) I also loved to hear how you are entertaining yourselves. I loved everything about this post. Thanks for sharing!

Margie said...

Thanks for sharing such good updates with us. I love how cute and happy she always looks. It put a smile on my face to hear you two were working on your Lindy Hop skills. Keep up the great work! You are amazing.

Holen Family said...

Mimi- it is so great to see Mia doing so well. She is so adorable! I love her smile. I always check your blog to see how she is doing, but I haven't commented for a while. I just wanted to let you know how excited I am for your sweet family. I cried when I found out Mia got her heart. Oh, I also saw your dad the other day. He was so happy while walking in the freezing snow. He made my day happier! As for the formula problem, wish I could help you out- but my baby loves it! She goes through Similac faster than I can buy it! Good luck!

Brittoni said...

Well my advice probably isn't the best since my baby is now four, but, my kids were all formula fed. However, they were all very picky about what formula they would eat and their bodies were very sensitive to different brands. My oldest, Philip, could not have formula and I could not breast feed soo... we gave him goats milk had had supplememts in the milk. we even put some molasses in it to make it sweet. He loved the stuff. my other three could only tolerate carnation good start. or is it a nestle formula now? Not sure. I know that is probably not very helpful but I understand. i could not breast feed any of my kids and it was sooo hard finding the right formula. Good Luck!! So nice to see sucy happy pictures of little Mia and hear that she is doing sooo well.

Allie said...

You are so creative in your writing! I love it! And Mia just gets sweeter and sweeter!

Jen Faultner said...

Ugh! Have you looked into donor milk? It grosses some people out but I know you can get it for babies in the NICU and I would guess any medically complicated child. Zoe wanted NOTHING to do with the formula either but thankfully I had the supply. I'd guess you are power pumping (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off) several times a day? Other than that I'm at a loss. How long tell she can just have cows milk?

I LOVE that you and Jon have a way to connect/compete in the evenings! The Wii is a MUST to stave off cabin fever!

The Heaps Family said...

Mimi, Your family is adorable and I am so happy that Mia is doing well. You deserve it. I am not a professional by any means when it comes to getting your kids to eat but, one piece of useful advice my kids' pediatrician gave me was that your baby will not starve herself. Just keep trying and when she is hungry enough she will eat anything. I had this same problem with Hadley because I had to go back to work. It took a few days but she finally caved without throwing a fit. Then she learned to love it. I don't know how because it's nasty. But hope that helps.

Talia said...

Mimi, Mia looks so good. I am so glad to hear that she is doing so well. I was having major milking issues when we went back down to Seattle, so I talked to a lactation person. Her suggestion to me was that any time I could have Sophia latch on. She may not be getting anything, but it is still causing the stimulation to try and get things going. She also told me to increase the time that I am pumping. So if you were pumping every three hours, now make it every two. I know both of these sound like they are for people with only one child and nothing else in the world on their plate, but it did eventually help increase my supply.

Riley Family said...

Such a happy post! Thanks so much for sharing!! I am glad that latley life is good. And Mia's smiling pictures and too fabulous for words!!!!

Shelley Eggett said...

What a great post!! Mia's grins are seriously the cutest thing ever! I'm so happy that she is so happy. I really have no advice on the forumla thing, I hope you get somethin good though that will work for Mia. I'm glad that you and John are keeping yourself entertained so well! You're making want a Wii, it definitley would make exercise more fun

Jennifer said...

Yea! Aside from the low milk supply, you sound fabulous! My husband and I also have challenges on Wii Fit. Soccer ain't no thang for me. I have all perfect scores on beginner and 3 perfect on advanced...I'm just sayin'. The 10 minute hula hoop, now that one is a killer, my hips get so confused. Anyway, your children are all so very beautiful. I love the creativity. I can't believe Mia is getting SO big. You are one blessed woman!

Erin said...

Oh my goodness! That first picture is the cutest thing I've ever seen! I'm printing it and putting it on my fridge....seriously! I would totally check out donor breast milk. I know they have to put it through screening and I've heard that babies with medical conditions can get it for free. It's worth looking into if it gets her eating on her own. Loved this post and love that little Mia!

Bown Bloggity Blog said...

Mims - I don't know what formula Mia has been prescribed, but four or so years back, formula got exponentially nastier - part of the DHA/ARA thing. It's that nasty algal oil. (Who knew you could get oil from algae.) Anyway, is there any old-school formula on the market anymore? Poor Mia, I wouldn't drink it either, tastes like fish or metal or both. Maybe find some non-supplemented stuff and add a dash of vanilla if Doc says OK.

mbishopp said...

we would love to play a little mario with ya when we come to town!

mia is still the cutest "ham" ever!

jayna said...

Such a busy life...lately...or, as usual? I love the naked chubbs! Mia is such a cutie!

CO-9z said...

Hi this is one of Deana's friends...also a heart Mom! I don't know about you but I personally despise the breast pump. It's a very bitter sweet relationship. It gave my baby what she needed, but sent me crazy every 3 hours. Anyways I have a suggestion that may help increase your milk supply...no extra pumping involved. My parents introduced me to Tahitian Noni Juice when I started to have post pardum depression (I was extremely skeptical at first) after having my baby because I didn't want to do meds while nursing. The stuff is amazing not only does it do wonders for the ppd, but it also increases my milk supply. I take one ounce a day...it's made from Morinda citrifolia fruit processed in Tahiti...nothing that could harm Mia. Anyways if you want more info feel free to email me. My email address is theco9s@hotmail.com. There are many different kinds out there, but the one that I use is pure Noni juice, no additives. It's kind of pricy (about $22.00 a bottle which is one liter at an ounce a day it lasts for one month.) I understand that there are many options, this is just one that I stumbled across by accident...my milk supply was okay before, but it's better with the Noni Juice. Natalie

CO-9z said...

P.S. Sorry! That post sounds like a distributor sales pitch. I get my supply off of ebay!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

i loved that post and all the smiles Mia is giving so freely! I'm sorry about your milk, that's such a tough thing, maybe trying mixing a little formula in with the milk you have left and see if she'll start tolerating/liking the taste more that way??? Glad you guys are enjoying the Wii. Don't worry about the 5 lbs things...could be water and besides you really do look fabulous! you guys should get rockband...i'm addicted right now. i convinced my brotherinlaw to let me know babysit it while they are on their honeymoon! Bring mia and come play! :)

Rebecca said...

OMGosh, I just left you the longest comment and didn't realize I wasn't logged in and I lost it by navigating away from the page, it wouldn't return. BUMMER.

Anyway, I love Mia's happiness, she's so smiley, and I love that picture of her. She's so big!

I said other stuff about Dr. Mario and Wii Fit brainwashing my child, but I can't retype it all.

Stephanie said...

It's truly incredible the progress that Mia has made! She is absolutely adorable and I just love the picture of her playing with her hands and knees :)

Keeping you all in my prayers!!!!

Anonymous said...

you might try mixing some of the formula with the breast milk and see if that helps. then she's getting the mixed version might be a little tastier. Tracy Fuhriman

Jamie said...

hey it is soo good that you guys are doing great we have a new site for shayla it is http://shaylawilson.blogspot.com/ didn't know how else to get it to you besides this way.

Beth said...

I love the smiley Mia. Your kids are cute. I wish I could see you more.

Anonymous said...

When I was a baby, my mother couldn't produce enough milk for me. The doctors had her start giving me goats milk. You can sometimes find it at the supermarket, an organic grocery store or a local farmer.

-Elise

Anonymous said...

Passed through your blog as linked from another heart baby blog. Just wanted to say that when my little guy had his first major heart surgery I was down to 2 oz a day and was able to get supply back up by

--retraining his tongue to brestfeed instead of bottlefeed using a tube attached to my finger with the long distance help of trained La Leche volunteer. Their online site is easy to google and contains an incredible amount of information and support for every imaginable situation.

--A strict routine with a COMMERCIAL GRADE brest pump was critical.

--Other things that really help included increasing my fluid intake and getting more rest, which admittedly is very difficult for a mother when baby is sick.

I had two really rough weeks making it happen. But it did and I was able to breastfeed my son until I was ready to wean him.

May God guide you through all the extra troubleshooting with your precious little one.

De-Mommy of a now-teenaged heart baby.

Melanie said...

MIMI!!! I'm so glad I found your blog, via other's from the 200th ward! You have such a beautiful family! I feel for you in the challenges presented by a baby that needs extra care, but you guys are amazing and I can see how Heavenly Father has blessed you. We helped my sister out quite a bit with her baby...it was very hard but it seems your smiling little one is doing well. I'm so glad to hear it! Take care!

James and Jade Bethers said...

Hey, Sorry to hear about your little girl. Just keep a positive attitude and the smile you have always had, and everything will be ok. Looks like you have a cute family. Take care

The Beals said...

Mimi - I could just squeeze those chubby chubby cheeks!!! Little Mia is BLOOMING - I am so happy she is doing so well. I seriously cried with relief when Jayna told me about her transplant!!! We couldnt be happier for you guys and your GORGEOUS family (we covet your baby's long long hair!!!) *Im also a success story of sneaking in tiny small amounts of formula into breastmilk until the switch could be made. It might be worth a shot!

Sabrina said...

Hello! I just discovered your blog today and have been reading on and off for several hours now. Your baby Mia is ADORABLE! what a sweetheart-and her story, and her smile-so uplifiting! I'm a heart mama too-swing on by our blog sometime to read about the amazing Lu who is almost a year old and doin' wonderfully living post Glenn with DORV and dextrocardaia.
Glad to have found you-and so happy to read about the very inspirational Mia:)
Warm wishes,
Sabrina Mama to Luna