Apr 13, 2009

4 Generations

Mia went in to public... GASP! I was a nervous wreck! The germs... oh the germs ;-) I tried not to think about it as we made the long drive to meet my grandma great and aunt for lunch. My mom was in town and we wanted to get together before she went back home. I was not too keen on eating hospital food so we met at a restaurant in Seattle. When we got there, most of the tables were empty.. PHEW!...and we sat by the door. I think the new environment was a shock to her system. She just looked around at everything, and we couldn't keep her attention. I washed everything down in sanitizer- cause I've developed a strong case of OCD. I've actually relaxed a little... I used to walk around with my sanitizer in a holster!

Being in public (not hospital public) for the first time was enjoyable. It's funny how I get a lot of smiles when people see Mia. I saw quite a few people look at her and then look up at me with a sweet smile. The smiles are different, not "hey, cute baby" smiles. They see her feeding tube and smile as if to say, "I'm sorry she has that tube." It's sweet and encouraging. I have only had one little girl stare us down. She was a cutie.

I remember when I first walked down the long hall at Seattle Children's. The hall I've walked down 3,956 times- SHE COUNTED? your asking yourselves in disbelief. No, I didn't count.. don't be silly..psssh... or did I? ;-) Anyway, There is a picture of a young girl with a feeding tube. I remember thinking, I'm sure Mia will never need one of those. I actually gagged a little myself seeing the picture. Boy have I come a long way. I didn't even know what it was... now we eat, drink and sleep that feeding tube.

Although I love the sympathetic smiles- someday soon she will only be getting the "hey, cute baby" smiles- which will be a welcomed guest. She is loving on the bottle, but doesn't necessarily suck hard enough to nourish herself. At least she's not feeling like I'm poisoning her.

Oh- this post was supposed to be about 4 generations. It's funny I often have to change the title of my blogs because they never end up being about "the title."

This is me, my moma, grandma great... and you should know the wee babe by now :-) Not much to say except hopefully I look as young as they do at their ages ( no worries mom- I'm not disclosing your age.)

Something interesting about us- (the four of us) is that none of us have ever had our ears pierced- crazy huh? Maybe that is not that cool, but four generations of non ear piercers? Ya gotta admit- it's pretty unique! I always wanted my ears pierced and I absolutely LOVE earrings! Dangly ones! They just have to be clip on :-)

Mia will have to sport the shiny stick-on ones. Then, when she is is ready I will buy her some clips. She will stay without holes...due to infection, NOT cause I'm crazy! Ellie on the other hand is chomping at the bit to get "ear pretties." The other day she asked me, "mom, when can I get holes in my ears?" ummm.. "EIGHT, when you're EIGHT." I'm not firm on this choice, but she is not ready. She would lose her first pair in five minutes.

Well Mia just woke up so my rants for the day must end.

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love it. I often find myself getting off track too. I think the no earpiercing is definitely something to note. I got my ears pierced when I was 8 and I was going to do that with Kaila, but she's so freaking bald, I just couldn't stand it. Very cute picture! Four generations of beauties!

The Simmons Family said...

I'm always off track. Oh.. the looks we get when we go out with our oxygen tank and Owen's NG. I had a little girl at Disneyland ask to take his picture. Mostly it's "hey stud, love the hair"... or "Owen just starts babbling to them like he's got something to say". It's great! We enjoy our outings, though far and few between.

I'm glad you got out. You look just like your mom... must be the smile.

Hopefully we'll be in Seattle in a few weeks and we'll get to say HI.

Amanda-The Family News! said...

What a great picture...LOVE your hair!!
That is something about the no ear piercing. I got mine done when I was about 10 (maybe?). I wanted to get my little girls done when she was little - she's 14 months old. I decided to just let her decide if she wanted to get them done....

Kaidence's Mommy said...

You can buy stick on earings??? Where have I been? I was wondering what I would do for the whole 'can't get your ears pierced' ordeal. I guess I could put a sticker on her g-tube (how many babies have their belly buttons pierced.....YUCK!!!!!) That better never become a topic in our home!

Princess Pookie said...

Clip ons?? Good to know! I'm gonna have fun with this one.:) Do they even make clip on earrings still?

Shila said...

Amazing to have a four generations picture!

Sarah said...

Cute 4 generations! Your mom does look incredibly young. And I am the broken chain in our non-ear-pierced family. My grandma doesn't, my mom and all of her sisters don't and my mom made the rule we had to wait until we were 18 to get our ears pierced. I got mine pierced the day before I turned 18 because I just couldn't wait any longer ;) I didn't know that yours weren't pierced. I definitely won't be making my girls wait until they're 18, but they'll be older for sure. I don't want to have to deal with the lost earrings, either!

I'm so glad you guys got out and it was a good experience! :)

Jane Anne said...

That's a beautiful family picture. It's a treasure! I am glad that you got out and enjoyed seeing your family.

jayna said...

Lovely ladies, the lot of you!

We're having the ear piercing talks around our place...Grace is 5 and insists that she is "growned" enough to take care of them.

Tyler says she has to be 20. I say 8. So I guess somewhere between there we'll have a girl with earrings.

The INCREDIBLE Pettit's said...

She is a beautiful baby...tube and all!
I hear you on the anxiety attack... on Saturday night my S-I-L called and asked if I was ready for tom. (Sunday).
I said physically or emotionally...NEITHER!
And now my 4 year old has croup so I think we'll stay in for awile....AGAIN.
HEART HUGS

Kirstin said...

I LOVED the shiny stick on earrings. I totally forgot about those things till reading your post. Yes I eventually got my ears pierced at the ripe old age of 11, but till then, it was the sticky earrings. I love reading your blogs... you can usually take me back to some memory, or really make me think and dig deep into my own soul! I hope you are doing well. I love your four generations picture. Your mom is still as gorgeous as ever, and I guess I never noticed how much you two really look alike!

Family Scads said...

Mimi - do you ever have a bad picture? Seriously, you are the most photogenic person that I know!

I hear you on sanitizing EVERYTHING. Last summer, when we took Beck to church (isn't it sad that our kids are so young and already inactive?), I would sanitize the entire pew. I also clean everything in his hospital room. YUCK, is all I can say!

The Simmons Family said...

Hey Mimi...

I had all Owen's medical info sent to Dr. Yuk Law. I spoke with the coordinator Jason and he was so very sweet. I almost think it would be easier to NOT have an option... seriously! I wish Owen wasn't high risk .. darn antibodies!

Heather and Tim said...

Your 4 generation photo is priceless--and beautiful of all of you!
I apreciate your random thoughts--title-shmitle!
p.s. I totally know the photo (in that crazy-long hallyway) you're talking about! It won't be long before she'll have that tube out, and will only be a memory in a photo for her!

Kelli said...

are you sick of me yet? sorry. I love your blog. This generation picture is beautiful. Mimi, your like a shining light!