Apr 21, 2009

Special Chair


When we added our little Mia to the family I realized we were going to need a fifth chair at our dinning table. I figured it would be impossible to match our existing chairs since they are "custom painted." Mimi found one at the DI and when I went to pick it up I was astonished to find that it was an insanely close match. Before I had arrived to get the chair I had been thinking about how the kids might fight over a chair that was different than the rest, but I knew it would work out just fine once I saw the close match. I arrived back at our place and slid the chair in with the others so no kiddies would ever know the difference...WRONG. The next day the kids were negotiating chair privileges. Ellie gets Lunch and Jensen gets Dinner. They even named it. "Special Chair." No, not "The Special chair" or any other variation, it's SPECIAL CHAIR. Today I noticed that when they can't wait for their Special Chair turn, they actually share it and have a meal side by side. These two crack me up.

Flower picking frenzy

Ellie has grown to love picking flowers. Love might not do this thing justice. Lets just say that all flower plants or shrubs in my yard are void of any actual flowers. This is cute, so we don't get mad. I did tell her that I like the dandelion flowers best (weed eradication - this is my first step in harnessing her energy). I see her combing the yard for dandelions. Notice the pile next to her plate. Awesome. So, yesterday I found a couple tulips that hadn't bloomed yet. I brought Ellie over and asked if she would please let this at least bloom, and to pretty please just not pick it. The very next time I was in the kitchen, there it was...on display on the counter in a nice vase with water. Gotta love her passion.

Funny stuff the kids say:

It is funny to hear the kids regurgitate things that they hear us say to them. Ellie was giving me compliments left and right today. After, "I love you so much," she added "you're growing up so fast daddy!"

The other day a neighborhood boy was calling his sister a "pain in the butt." Apparently, Ellie thought he was talking to her. Now every time we see that kid she announces, "Dad, that's the mean boy that called me a paint in the butt."

Today as we were driving around she said to me, "Lets practice dunking." huh? Then she said, "Tell me when you see a policeman so I can dunk." Oh, got it. (You can tell that I have tried to motivate them at times to get their seat belts on or there will be jail time.)

When I hurt Ellie's feelings she says, "But I really love you daddy!" Followed by, "You're breaking my bones." I don't know what that means exactly, but it is so cute.

I was angry a few days back and mumbled, "It's over between us." In a really sad voice I hear from Ellie, "But I don't want it to be over, I really like you guys."

8 comments:

Bown Bloggity Blog said...

Wow, your kidos are so cute. They say the best things don't they. They other day we were discussing the Bible and how it was the first book published on the printing press and Andrew soaking it all up said "So, if the bible was first, was frog and toad second?" Miss you guys.

Nat said...

I laughed so hard at Ellie's comments. She sounds so much like our Ellie. And I'm glad you're growing up.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

oh so cute! i love all the funny things they say and do!

Jennifer said...

Your kids are hilarious and so cute! I love it!

Shelley Eggett said...

You are much nicer than I am about the flowers. My kids know they are forbidden to pick :)

She sounds like a crack up

Beth said...

Kids say the darndest things. I love it. And I love when you post about it.

Sarah said...

Such cute kids! I love the stories, their little personalities are amazingly cute... but how could they not given who their parents are! :)

molly said...

OK hopefully that kid saying his sister is a pain in the you know what was not my son....and I never mind Ellie picking my flowers...she is too cute.