Jun 22, 2009

Isn't it GRAND?

Happy Father's Day to two of the greatest dads.

The greatest thing about Father's Day is having a free ticket to shamelessly brag about my husband. This post by it's nature will evoke the reader to say silently in their head..."oh, gag me!" If you are my sister and reading this you might even go a step further and say silently to your self, "oh gag me with a rubber spatula!" Don't ask.

So cue the gags, the "oh pleases," the eye rolling, and the word "CHEESY" in all it's variations. It's father's day, and I will take all the liberties of cheesiness necessary. Ready? OK...

John Boy,
You are my man! and if there were a song I could dedicate to you today it would be this one:

You're a falling star, You're the get away car.
You're the line in the sand when I go too far.
You're the swimming pool, on an August day.
And You're the perfect thing to see.

And you play it coy, but it's kinda cute.
Ah, When you smile at me you know exactly what you do.
Baby don't pretend, that you don't know it's true.
Cause you can see it when I look at you.

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times
It's you, it's you, You make me sing.
You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

You're a carousel, you're a wishing well,
And you light me up, when you ring my bell.
You're a mystery, you're from outer space,
You're every minute of my everyday.

And I can't believe, uh that I'm your GIRL,
And I get to kiss you baby just because I can.
Whatever comes our way, ah we'll see it through, (this entire year)
And you know that's what our love can do.

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times
It's you, it's you, You make me sing
You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

-Michael Buble ( or whomever writes his songs)

John, you really are the best dad, and I am so glad it is you. Sometimes when you get home from work I watch you interact with the kids and wish I could freeze us all in time. It is a little slice of heaven watching them crawl all over you and report about their day. The kids are lucky to have you! I know after they are grown, they will remember what a fun a dad you were. They will sing the songs you have taught them, and be confident because of everything you have instilled in them. Happy Father's day daddy!!

I love you Daddy John!! Me love you LOOOONNNNGGG time!


And now in honor of my Dad, I thought I would compile a list of Sidisms to share (and to remember years from now). My mom and I stayed up way too late coming up with this list. Of course there are a few Sidisms that I won't be sharing...my sisters will know which ones I'm talking about. My dad is the King of phrases and nicknames. He usually has a phrase for just about anything. The way he says them is what makes them funny, but with some, no voice is necessary. So... in no particular order...I give you Sid, my super entertaining dad!

"on-a cowna" This is my dad's response to the question, "why?" On a count of......

"Do you want to know how the crow hangs on the fence?" If you happen to sit next to him, he would ask you this. It didn't matter if the answer was yes or no...he would show you!

"just cause we're friends" aka please.

"you're a stingy baby" When he is getting denied kisses from grand kids.

"Are you my O n'O?" one and only. He has a lot of O n'O's.

"I don't mean to run up your nickel" translation: It's time for me to go.
"not as good as you but better than most." His response to, "How are ya?"

"well you just sorta cut my aorta" Just something he liked to sing

"I'm about as busy as a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest." No explanation needed :-)

"Jed, Jedette, and Jedidiah" If he knows you, chances are you already have a nickname...if he doesn't know you...you are Jed or Jedette. Jedidiah is a glorified Jed said with gusto

"you ready to go for a walk?" My dad takes a walk everyday and invites everyone. If you live in Midway, chances are he has waved to you while on his walk. A few years back he told me he waves to everyone so they won't hit him. I'm not buyin it dad- I know it's cause you're friendly!!

"My taste buds would like to do it again, but my stomach won't let me." After eating pretty much every meal. I told you my mom knows her way around the kitchen.

"something about a woodpecker with sore lips" hmmmm....can't remember

"you're letting the penguins out." If you stand in front of the refrigerator with the door wide open.

"we're not heatin' the sparrows." Same thing...just with the door to the house.

"Give me one of them sweet ones." He loves kisses from the grand kids.

"wooow! I lova those sweet ones" After he gets a "sweet one" he has a huge reaction so the kids will keep coming back.

"bats in the belfry" Just another way to say not the sharpest tool in the shed.

"Oh, about five ten" His response to, "what's ya been up to?"

"go to school, get smart, and bring home the gold." something I heard everyday before school...you gotta hand it to him for persistence.

"be a sweetheart" Advice for his girls.

"that did a tap dance on my taste buds" complimenting the food again.

"id-in-it grand?" (Isn't it grand?) He says this at the end of every feel good movie. You can usually count on this comment when the happily ever after moment occurs and the music montage begins.


The following are a some of the nicknames...I am sure I am missing a few, but if you wonder where the mistaken identities of my children come from...you know now.

"Ollie"
"sally"
"skinny"
"natty Gan"
"bucket"
"Joe"
"boo shisky"
"coconut"
"honey child"
"rum bucket"
"whiskey tray"
"banana"
"raisin pie"
"Turnakey"

Not quite sure why there is rum and whiskey in there, but you just have to know him I guess. My dad has put up with 7 women for the majority of his life, and wouldn't have wanted any other way! Right dad? ;-)

He even nicknamed all of the fireworks at the fourth of July. I know the name of every firework from years of him labeling them. There is magenta cluster, emerald beauty, and silver salute... to name a few. Without fail he "eeeew's" and "aaahhh's" every firework, the rest of us do too...in his honor :-)

Six years ago or so my mom sent me to a fruit stand on University to pick up as many "pickling cucumbers" as they had. My grandma has an excellent canned pickle recipe...so good that after being given a few jars, we always snagged a few more before we left. Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this...Mom/Dad...you raised a thief! and she married a thief! We can't resist the pickles OK?? I suppose I am justified because I haven't been there in years to enjoy the abundance of pickles.

moving on...

John and I went to the fruit stand and bought them out. It was a huge box, HUGE BOX of cucumbers. They loaded me up, and we were off. After checking out the cucumbers John mentioned that those were too big to be pickling cucumbers. Never having been wrong before, I assured him that they were indeed the cucumbers she needed. He proceeded to ask me how they fit into the jar. "They shrink," I confidently responded. Being a wise newlywed he said, "Oh, Ok" and we headed up the canyon.

When we arrived and brought in the massive box of cucumbers a few of my sisters were there along with my parents. After looking at them, multiple people informed me that those were the wrong sized cucumbers. Somewhere in life I convinced myself that they would shrink to less than half of their size. I felt really dumb! Mostly because we bought and hauled all of those cucumbers to can together, and now all we had were a million salad ingredients.

After a good laugh at my expense my dad didn't skip a beat and grabbed the first cucumber out out of the box, took a big bite, and said"Well, we better get eatin!" Thanks dad for having my back all these years, and for diving in during all of the boxes of cucumbers in my life. I love you!!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

your a great writer. I love to read your posts. Your dad sounds wonderful. And just like your hubby, I love mine, arnt we so lucky to have them.

Shelley Eggett said...

You are lucky to have such a funny Dad! He sounds like a lot of fun to be around, he would have to be a good guy to put up with so many girls right??

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

Gosh, two awesome posts in one. I love those...but my JB comments are now overshadowed by the darling story about the cucumbers! I love that. Your dad sounds like one of a kind. Like you.

Rachel said...

Reading this post just makes me ask: Are we EVER going to get to meet your Dad?

jayna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.