Aug 26, 2009

Sister Bond

Picture 23 046


Sometimes I am reminded by my children what a difficult experience the last year was for them. I believed that when we were all home together, the sadness and worry would disappear. It has for the most part, but now again they voice their concern.

Last night while I was lying with Ellie during bedtime she said the sweetest thing. It's no secret that Ellie has a gravitational pull toward her little sister, and wants to be with her at all times, but this was too cute.

Elle: Mom, can Mia sleep with me.
Me: No, not tonight honey.
Elle: I really really want her to sleep with me though
Me: I know, maybe someday you two can share a room
Elle: Can we share a room tonight?
Me: Not tonight, but you can snuggle her in my bed tomorrow morning. (Ellie's morning routine)
Elle: I will hold onto her like this (wrapping her arms around me)- this stems from the million other times she has asked if Mia could sleep in her bed and me telling her no because she will roll off.

Me: I know, but sometimes when we sleep we might let go.
Elle: Mom, I won't let go... please?
Me: You really like your siss huh?
Elle: Yeah, and I want her to sleep with me
Me: Maybe when she's a little older
Elle: Mom, is Mia gonna go away?
Me: Nope.
Elle: We get to keep her for a long time?
Me: Yes, a long long time
Elle: Can we keep her as long as the guy in the field? (I have no idea what that meant-maybe she saw an elderly man in a field somewhere.)
Me: Sure.
Elle: Mom, when Mia is a little old lady can I still keep her?
Me: Yes, you can still keep her.

Picture 19 440

Picture 20 003

19 comments:

♥Kim said...

Oh my goodness this is too sweet! Made me a bit teary eyed! =) Mia has a great sister to look after her in the near future! ♥

Kelli said...

how sweet. Cant wait to see Ellie again at preschool.

jayna said...

Precious. Your two girls are going to be little princesses together even when they are little old ladies!

The Simmons Family said...

That is very sweet!!! Kamryn too always asks when Owen can sleep with her. I told her on his 2nd birthday I will let him sleep with her.

Mia is lucky to have such a great big sister! Can you see them in the tub in their teens listening to Ellie teach Mia to shave her legs??

Mindy said...

So sweet! Thanks for a good cry. Mia is very lucky to have such a devoted big sister. Ellie is such a sweetie! I am so happy for your family.

Talia said...

That is so sweet. Our big sister's are such protectors over their little sister's. Gabi will ask me sometimes if she had surgery as a baby...I LOVE the pictures of the girls.

Brimaca said...

Wow! Those pictures! Beautiful.

Brittoni said...

those are about the cutest pics I have ever seen. I will tell you from my own experience with my girls that the bond just gets better and better. I love going into their bathroom and I find all three of them doing each others hair and helping each other get dressed. I am so glad they have each other.

Shelley Eggett said...

Ah this post made me cry!

mbishopp said...

Those girls are adorable and so lovable! Great pictures too1

send me your email address so i can get photos to you. monicabishopp@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Remind them of this when they're teenagers!

Sarah said...

What beautiful pictures!! They are so sweet, and could not be sweeter girls. I love your kids :)

Kevin and Andrea said...

Ok that just made me cry! So cute!

LoPeZ FaMiLy said...

OMG...that was too cute. You have precious children.

Linda said...

How precious.

I've been going through something similar with my 5 1/2 year old in the aftermath of her dad's sudden passing this spring:

Sarah: "Mommy, I love you very very much, and you're not allowed to die ever."
Me: "Sarah, I'm not going anywhere for a really long time"

Or Sarah talking about Gabby's heart defect (tetralogy of Fallot)
Sarah says: "Gabby (or some kids) are born with a heart problem, but I wasn't born with a heart problem."
She also calls medications "meds" and knows what a feeding tube looks like.
These kids get it, don't they?

Glad Mia's doing so well!

Julie said...

What a sweet sister! I hope someone wants to keep me that much when I'm a little old lady! Lucky Mia!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

that's one of the sweetest things ever! Mia will have the best protectors as she grows up.

Erin said...

Wow, that made my eyes tear up, what a great little girl you have and she just loves her sister!

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

I love this post. First of all, because I love how convincing and focused Ellie is on what she wants. I can picture her earnest face saying all of the above. And I love that Mia is here to stay!

P.S. Ru is looking over my shoulder, as she often does while I edit photos. When she saw the last pic, she said, "I would change Mia's face in that last one." Priceless! Photography is an artform!