Sep 2, 2009

A taste of Midway

midway sign


I grew up in literally the best place on earth! Midway Utah. Let's be honest, if you know where Midway is- you'll mostly likely agree with me.

Midway is a small town tucked just west of Heber City, and is best known for it's rich Swiss culture. As a little girl I would walk to town square just to see the Glockenspiel that went off every half hour. I remember counting how often it rotated before it went back inside. If you don't know what I'm talking about- sorry. It is a Swiss clock thing much like a cuckoo clock just with rotating wooden figures and loud yodeling. When the post office was part of the same building I would have my dad wait so we could see it. The excitement eventually wore off and I can't remember the last time I saw it. I don't know if it even goes off anymore. Midway residents, is it still alive and kicking? When I was home this past week Midway hadn't changed that much, except for a new church and the fact that there was a turn lane when I went to turn onto my old street. I am sure there are other changes, but for the most part it looked exactly the same as it did a few years ago. I miss Midway.

Ok, to the point- this weekend is SWISS DAYS!! Have you heard of it? If you live in Utah you truly should go- it will be worth your time. Swiss days goes hand in hand with the town of Midway. You learn at a young age the importance of Swiss days when you take field trips there. One of my first memories of Swiss days was spending hours in the tennis courts where they had all of the kid games. Later as a youth I ran those games, until later when I got my license to pound the kraut. There is something for everyone at Swiss days!

What was it for me, you ask?

Two things:

#1- BRAZELI'S!!

Brazeli's are a paper thin Swiss cookie that taste like heaven. They are made in a iron much like a flat waffle iron, but specific enough that you cannot re create it's glory without one. I have come pretty close with my pazzelle iron that my mom gave me for Christmas last year. If you're feeling loaded you can purchase a Brazeli iron HERE. But, for A LOT less you can get a pazzelle iron and then try this recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. cinnamon (Heaping tsp that is)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. lemon or almond extract (or try a little of each)
4 cups all-purpose flour

Instructions:

Cream together butter, sugars, and eggs, add cream.
Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture.
You may need to add additional flour to make a soft dough that you can form into a ball. Refrigerate overnight.
Form into balls about the size of walnuts and press in iron.

Serve them plain or with ice cream.
You could also make them into a cookie bowl by placing over a cup when they are hot.


CHECK me out!! I posted a recipe on my blog!! I have been meaning to post some recipes - I come very a foody family, but my kids always give recipes the boot.

and #2... drum roll... SWISS TACO (said slowly with a head nod)
Picture 12 159


Recipe anyone? Ok- here it is- it is pretty basic. The KEY ingredient is the scone. Now, a scone in midway is different from other scones you may be thinking of. This scone is yummy delicious fry bread- not a small triangular dessert served with jam. If you live in the NW, you could equate it to an elephant ear only more substantial. The picture is from the last time I made them- how handy that I have a picture taking problem! Mine is not even close to appetizing compared to the real deal.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 med. onion
2 cans enchilada sauce, hot or mild
1 med. can tomato sauce
1 can re fried or kidney beans
1 lb. grated cheese
1 head lettuce, chopped
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 sm. can taco sauce
INDIAN FRY BREAD:
4 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. warm water
Fry ground beef with onion, but do not brown. Add sauce and beans and simmer for 1/2 hour. For the Indian Fry Bread, mix the dry ingredients together well. Add water, mixing into a smooth ball. Break off a portion and pat into a large patty or roll out. Fry in hot oil. Top bread with sauce. Then add grated cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion. Add taco sauce sparingly.

Well, this isn't the Swiss taco recipe, but it is pretty similar. If you are reading this blog and you are going to work in the Swiss taco booth- fill me in on the True recipe. Then I will share with all of you! Swiss taco's are topped with slices of tomatoes- and I'm sure the sauce is different.

I am so hungry thinking about them. They have gone up in price over the years, but well worth it. Chances are you will have to wait in a long line to get one of these, but you will not be disappointed.

Besides the food, the town square is filled to the brim with booths loaded with charming merchandise. For years I always came home with a wooden helicopter toy- maybe that vendor is still there. I have some Christmas ornaments, a few outdated home decorations, and some jewelry... all purchased at Swiss days. The celebration is fun and you will see plenty of people running around in Lederhosen. If you catch the parade, don't be alarmed when the noise that comes from the alphorn isn't quite what you expected.

I haven't been to Swiss days for a few years, but last time I was the bulk of the entertainment is performed in the middle of the square in a white gazebo, the same gazebo I played in for hours upon hours as a young girl. I always imagined myself as the Swiss miss- doing a little dance. I was never crowned Swiss miss, but spent plenty of time pretending I was.

Midway is wonderful- I love it! I can't believe I missed Swiss days by only a couple days! Stinkin school system! Next year my kids will just have to start late! A girl can only go so long without revisiting a major part of her childhood.

Don't forget to get a Swiss taco- and take a picture of you eating it so that I can be be happy that someone is enjoy it! Oh, and the Brazelis are located at the relief society booth, but don't wait because they ALWAYS run out. Eat one for me- sniff sniff.

13 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Hope the reunion was fun. I am sure you did a great job!

Oh Midway! It is weird to drive by the old house and such. Swiss Days...oh the memories. After MANY long hours of working in the dough booth for the scones, I should have it memorized, but it contains A LOT of butter and sugar. That's what makes it so good. I have the recipe and make it once a year. In fact, it is on the menu for the weekend as a tradition for Swiss Days. My kids will always know about swiss days and "swiss tacos."

Barbiemat said...

You are right. Midway is Heaven on Earth. I miss Swiss Days. Thank you for our dinner tonight. Great idea. By the way, I heard the reunion was a great success and everyone there had a grand time. Sorry I missed it.

Brimaca said...

You've officially made me homesick. It is Heaven on earth. When I was running there this summer I felt like I was running in a post card. It's beautiful.

Shelley Eggett said...

I didn't know you had such a love for Swiss Days. I personally think it's over rated and over crowded. Maybe if it wasn't so stinkin crowded it wouldn't be so over rated. Plus I'm too cheap to buy anything besides the food. Midway is a great place to live though I will say that. It's beautiful and unique. The food sounds delish, I do love those swiss tacos.

Kevin and Andrea said...

Oh Mimi my mouth is WATERING!! I swear the fod at Swiss Days is the BEST!! I miss Midway SO much. I still cannot pass through there without crying (yes, every time) My husband finds this very strange. But unless you grew up there, you would never understand I guess. So jealous you get to go to Swiss Days. If I weren't on Dr.'s orders to not leave town, I would be there in a heart beat! Have fun!!!!!!! Please give your Dad a hug from me too :0)

Matthew Hellewell said...

Nice post, Mimi. My mom has a brazeli maker passed on from the women who lived in that house. Love brazelis! I'm not super hot on Swiss Days, it just seems like the resulting yard sale following a gigantic "Super Saturday" activity. Plus, you forgot that the grocery store has been started. Big happenings!

Carrie Hellewell said...

Ah Midway. I love it there so much. It is a special place. My Grandma used to take me to Swiss days when I was little. She was born in Switzerland and never, ever missed Swiss days in Midway. I have fond memories of it, especially the horns. I'm so sorry you had to miss it! Maybe next year.

Mimi said...

What?? A grocery store? Where? I had no idea!! I never ventured past center street so if it is over there I wouldn't have seen it.

That is crazy!! That is a big happening. :-)

Princess Pookie said...

"Swiss" Taco...sure Meem! Is that like "Swiss" corndog or "Swiss" Gyro? Let's go! I'll drive.:D

Krachel said...

It must be a Midway/Charleston thing. That's funny to me that Shelley thinks it's overrated. But then again - she didn't grow up WORKING the event. I remember, as well, getting up when it was still dark outside to go set up booths when my mom sold crafts - later years I too had to work the tennis courts. And I'll never forget hanging with the boys who had garbage duty! What fun memories. Great post!

Suzie said...

Ha, HA! I'm going tomorrow! I'll see what I can do about securing you some bratzlies. I helped the releif society make them one year and I was SO tempted to throw the iron in my backpack and head for the hills! Ebay might be a better choice.

Holen Family said...

Ahhh. Swiss Days! I don't think I have missed a year. Love it! The food is so delicious. Remember we got to work the "carnival" in 5th grade and if you did you got to leave school early. How about William Tell, eh? Can't forget those lovely solider dances (and I fell off the stage) Swiss Days is a huge childhood memory for me also. I can still remember riding my purple schwin to the town hall and looking for my friends - most likely you!

Mimi said...

HA! It totally IS swiss!! Have you ever been to Swisserland before?? ;-) If that place existed- these would be everywhere!

I knew someone would catch that- alright alright it's a Navajo taco made by people who live in Midway and don't know any better. :-)