Oct 28, 2009

What to expect when you're unexpectedly expecting

# 1- expect to be shocked that despite all of your prevention somehow you're still "expecting."

# 2- expect to keep it a secret for as long as humanly possible.

# 3- expect your husband to breech protocol and announce it on facebook months before you were ready share the news.

# 4- Expect to pep talk your self for weeks that everything will be OK despite what you went through the last time you were expecting.

# 5- Expect everyone who finds out to say things like, "NO WAY!" "Seriously?" "WOW, really?" and my personal favorite.. "I didn't see that one coming."

# 6- Expect your cardiologist to be very reassuring that the blood pressure medicine you were taking isn't a huge concern.

# 7- Expect that you will still think about it non stop.

# 8- Expect to have multiple echo's scheduled to check out your baby's heart and your heart.

# 9- Expect family to be loving and reassuring that everything will be fine.

# 10- Expect to start getting excited about the new life growing inside.

# 11- Expect to break the news to your children and have your daughter immediately commence her mauling of your belly.

# 12- Expect to lie awake wondering how you will handle a heart baby and a newborn.

# 13- Expect to be pregnant with a sister, a sister in law, and 5 other girls from your ward.

# 14- Expect to be obsessing about the swine flu now for yourself , and not just your transplant baby.

# 14- Expect to ad a slew of appointments to your already appointment rich life.

# 15- Expect to be angry at your husband despite his elation over the fact you're expecting.


So, it's true! We are expecting our fourth little one. Crazy I know! Believe me all of the thoughts you could possibly be having over this news have already gone through my head. Yes, all of them.

We are of course really excited NOW and here is why....

Monday we had an appointment to find out the heart status of baby #4 and to see how my heart was doing. I have been counting down to this appointment. I tried not to get too preoccupied with the possibilities, but sometimes it all caught up with me. Pregnancy hormones coupled with my experience with Miss Mia... bring on the tissue.

Monday was a fabulous day to say the least!!!

When the sonographer started scanning and found the babies heart my heart stopped for a minute. This was the moment of truth... I can't really describe it, but you can imagine how it would have been. The very first frame was a four chamber view and I could see those baby valves pumping away. Having viewed an insane amount of echos in my 28 years I knew that this heart was a healthy one. I looked at my husband and said, "that is one perfect looking heart." He agreed. He said it was nice not to see one side "crazy dilated." My cardiologist (who is great) knew I was a basket case going into that appointment and came in to confirm my conclusion. He gave us a big thumbs up.

NO HEART DIAGRAM!!!!

It's about time we got some good news from him- I wish I had the camera ready to snap a picture of those thumbs!

While checking on the heart we also found out that baby 4 is a.............


BOY


I could not be more pleased! A healthy heart AND a little man to even up our fam. I was hoping for a boy- and I am extremely excited that we get to grant Jensen's wish for a little bro. He is going to be a good buddy, with the amount of kicks I feel Jense will have a difficult time keeping up. Now for a name.... hmmm.


There you have it- We feel so blessed!


Wasn't this unexpected???

9918_154931416726_576706726_3251083_7776147_n



45 comments:

Kim Allgood said...

Mimi!! I am so thrilled for you guys. And the healthy heart news was fantastic! Congratulations. 4 is a great number!

The Curleys said...

I had a feeling when I read the first line. But thats amazing that the Lord works in ways that he does and blesses you and your family with another spirit of his. I am so happy that he is healthy and shouldn't have any problems especially with everything you have been through. He sure watches out for us and doesn't put more on us that we can't bare to handle.

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

It is such a miracle! I loved reading the whole post, it was worth the LOOOOOOOONG wait. If your husband announced on fb "months" before you were ready, I'm glad he did. There are no more "months" left in me...I just want to celebrate and plan and brainstorm and sew and love on that little unborn baby NOW!!! PUBLICLY! I love the first three, can't wait for #4...little Maximus Gluteus...

Jodi Elwell said...

I am so happy for you! that is awesome news and I can't think of anyone that deserves it more than you!! Congratulations!

Kaidence's Mommy said...

Congrats!!!! I can only imagine all those thoughts and feelings. I get them every time I try to decide if we are to have another one. Reading the post made me not feel so crazy for thinking all of those thoughts. I am very excited for you and sooooo happy that things are looking so good for the baby. Yeah for your family!!!!

Tracy Family said...

Mimi we are excited for you guys, it's a boy!!! Yahoo! We love boys and I'm glad Jensen will have a brother! What a miracle of the unexpected healthy pregnancy! 2010 is a year of miracles for many women it seems, including us! I can imagine how you felt at that ultrasound, I felt my heart stop too at ours with this little guy.In my mind I was like... if they say anything bad I will die!! You will do great with your little Mia and a newborn, he will have big sibling helpers!

Barbiemat said...

Congratulations! You are one beautiful momma. Gorgeous family!!

Kelli said...

my first two boys were heart boys so I know all those feelings and holding your breath looking at the eco. I'm so happy everything is good. Congrats to you all.

Carrie Hellewell said...

I already talked to Johnboy but congrats again!!! I can't tell you how happy we are for you guys and how great it is that HE is going to be just fine. And you too. Can't wait to hear more!

Dan and Sara Fishler said...

Oh Mimi - that's awesome! I got the chills about 50 times reading that post... I know it's because you two are the most fabulous parents ever that you keep getting these precious little children sent to you! I am thrilled for you, and especially that it's a little boy who has a healthy heart! Congratulations - you certainly deserve it :)

The Smith's said...

I've been waiting for this post! I'm so, so happy!

Jesse

Cristi said...

Yay, yay, yay, yay, YAY!!! A MILLION congratulations!! And prayers and best wishes!!

The Simmons Family said...

Congrats!! I am SO very happy for you. I can't say for sure, but I hear that Owen is a GREAT boy name! :)

The Simmons Family said...

Congrats!! I am SO very happy for you. I can't say for sure, but I hear that Owen is a GREAT boy name! :)

MFA Mama said...

WOW! You are REALLY good at keeping secrets and I wasn't expecting this at ALL but congratulations on a new baby and YAY for a healthy heart!

Brimaca said...

AAAAAHHHHH!!!! I'm so excited for you! Woohoo!

When is the due date? I didn't see it. I'll go back and check.

Erin said...

NO Way!!!! Congrats Mimi! I am so happy for you! I was just thinking the other day about you and wondered if you guys would have more kids.... I mean you have beautiful children! AND I guess the answer is YES!!! HOORAY for a healthy heart and HOORAY for a little boy! Mia is going to be a BIG sister! When are you due? How is your heart holding up?

I'm ecstatic for you guys! What a beautiful surprise!

Clenece said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so glad to hear everything is looking great with his little heart! Best of luck!

Kevin and Andrea said...

Mimi!!! YAY!!! That's awesome! Glad that little guy has a strong heart... you know he got it because his momma has a STRONG one!!

I hope your feeling well, can't wait to see this little guy!
CONGRATS!!!

Christina said...

Mimi- I just came across your blog! What adventures you've had since our first weeks in the same ward over 7 years ago. You are an amazing mother, and I'm so excited that you get to do it all over again. Those are lucky kids coming to you and John- I still remember your shower for baby #1! So good to see what you've been up to- your same beautiful countenance is still shining through on your blog.
-Christina Felt

Melanie said...

YEA FOR A HEALTHY HEART! We're so extremely excited for you! Man I can't imagine the emotions! But you guys are seriously amazing and inspiring!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!!! Mimi, I am so happy and so excited!!! Yay for another little man in your family! I have a whole list of names I didn't get to use on my little man since we ended up with Blaine. I still wonder about that name sometimes, isn't that so bad?! Shhhh, we just won't tell him. I can email you my other names if you would like :) I am just so happy. I am constantly amazed at you and how gracefully you handle everything, I know that this little man will be the perfect addition to your family. I am so excited to meet him! Have I mentioned how happy I am for you? I am so, so happy.

Sarah said...

PS - John spilled the beans on FB when he wasn't supposed to????? What did he have to do to make up for that one?? haha

Summer Carlile said...

Congrats guys! I am so glad that he has a perfect heart.

Lauri said...

OK I knew and I still teared up! I'm so happy that he is fabulous! And it was great to see you guys if only for a moment the other day :-) Time for a lunch/dinner date to celebrate!!! Love you guys
Lauri

qwertycris said...

Oh, yay, we are so excited for you!!! Congratulations!

Shila said...

Okkee dokkee I will be on the look out for cute boy names for ya!

Talia said...

I am so glad the baby's heart and your heart checked out! I am so excited for you...and Jensen for getting the brother he wanted (even though he didn't know)

Tammy and Chris said...

YAY!! Congratulations. Glad to hear you and the wee one are healthy and happy!

Allie said...

Congrats to the most beautiful pregnant women ever!

Jennifer said...

Congrats...glad to here you have had lots of good news.

Shelley Eggett said...

Yay!!! Yay!!!! and one more huge YAY!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you guys, and so happy that this little boy has a healthy heart. What a perfect little family. I couldn't be more happy right now.

Shelley Eggett said...

P.S. I love the family picture. It's perfect

Holen Family said...

Wow! Congrats! I am so glad his little heart is healthy.I am very excited for you and your family!

Katie said...

Of course, I'm so thrilled for you!!! What a blessing this little guy will be...praises that your appointment went so well and #4's heart is looking great! So glad you finally announced it too :) I couldn't wait for the post, so creative to btw!!!

jayna said...

OH mylanta! My internet was down all week and when I checked out my blog roll you guys were at the top...I visited...my jaw dropped! No- I didn't see that one coming!!! Oh my gosh! Congratulations to the extreme!!!! never a dull moment with you guys, huh??! :) Enjoy the journey, right!!

Christy Beal said...

YAY!!!!!!!! So happy!!!!!!!!

Have millions of adorable little blonde babies for me to admire!!! And a BOY?? How splendid!!! I couldnt be more shocked and excited!

Look at all those exclamations!!!!!

Seriously though, there is never a good time, never enough preparation, never enough money - never enough anything to PLAN a little friend. They just have to come along when you need them. There must have been too much pink floating around your house. Or too much quiet relaxing time :)

Im going to have 2 babies under two...so apparently im one to talk about great timing. But seriously - congratulations - thats one lucky boy you have in there!

Natalia said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you finally announced it! I did break the secret and tell Brad! So glad to hear that he's healthy! :)

Amy said...

Incredible news!!!! So thrilled for you! Praying for your wonderful family as you begin this adventure!

Anne said...

I can't believe I am the 40th person commenting. Seriously, I should be way up higher on the list. He he. Anyway, you know I am happy for you. Can't wait to meet little Wesley. ;)

Jennifer said...

I don't read blogs for a week and BAM best news ever. Not only are you pregnant (I can't help but get so freaking excited when couples I know and love get pregnant), but there is an uberly healthy heart in this one AND it's a boy for even teams. It just doesn't get better than that, I tell ya!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Jen said...

So excited for you and your little family!

LoPeZ FaMiLy said...

OMG!!!! That is so awesome!!! I'm so glad that all was good news to hear!! Congrats!

Joshua said...

Congratulations McDonald Family!! So happy to hear the news and the news that he has a healthy heart.

MoDLin said...

What happy news! It's wonderful to see a strong, healthy ticker. Congratulations on all fronts!