Nov 11, 2009

Transplant 1 year anniversary

It does not seem like a year from when we received the call that our daughter received the offer of a new life. Mia is our miracle and today we celebrate her first anniversary of her renewed life. My heart could not be more grateful. I knew someday she would have an anniversary, and oh how I yearned for this day. It is HERE! It really has been a year... wow! Here are some thoughts about that momentous day-

pics2 170

Saying goodbye for a few hours to our princess. This is something a mommy and daddy shouldn't have to do. I am glad we did, but it was one of those moments where the next few hours were so critical and I don't think anything can prepare you for the mental place you are in when such a invasive procedure is being performed to your tiny daughter.

pics2 191

365 days ago this is what I couldn't take my eyes off of. Watching numbers, praying, more number watching, new med learning, praying again, crying, hair stroking, hoping, asking question after question. This picture is difficult to look at but it is part of our journey, and makes where we are today so drastically wonderful!

pics2 277

Mommy's first time holding the babe. I still can't believe it has been a year. They told me to consider her transplant day her birthday of sorts. Holding my little "newborn" with a fully functioning heart was one of the greatest six hours (I couldn't give her up) of my life. There were many a hospital day when I felt like I needed to be hooked up to some machines because I literally felt my heart stop... it sounds dramatic, but it's true. One day in particular when I had returned from lunch my mom was crying. Through her tears, and in her humble way she was able to tell me that Mia had been panicking. She knew that she wasn't getting enough oxygen and how scary it was to watch. I usually had to cry about these situations by myself, or over the phone. Thanks for being there mom, you gave me so much strength. The pain of having a sick child is relentless. There are times of peace and times of comfort, but a pain that never seemed to dull. That pain for the most part has been gone for a year- a year! Of course there are things that are not fun, and that cause her physical pain, but nothing compared to her first months of life.

pics2 330


The first of many smiles after Mia's transplant. Oh how I waited for her smiles! Feel free to read back on the events of the day, it was such an amazing day. Just click on Nov 9th 2009, and you can go from there. It's incredible to see her go from this sweet little steroid smile to....

2009-11-08 027

This little goof ball, nose identifier smile... in one year. As you've gotten to know our little miss, it is no secret that she is one happy baby. One thing our donor family told us about Mia's donor was that he smiled constantly. Mia now smiles for both of them. Her cheerfulness is contagious and you can't help but be in a good mood when Mia is awake. We love Mia's donor family. We hope that someday soon they will get to meet her. There truly is no way to express the gratitude we feel...there is nowhere to go from here when it comes to gratitude. They saved us... they saved our family. They saved Mia, and me. It is such an incredible thing they did and I think of them everyday. We will soon celebrate his birthday, and will keep him in our hearts forever.


10-25-2009 391


10-25-2009 387


10-25-2009 393


10-25-2009 385

When you're little, you are told to follow your dreams. Sure, there were things I wanted to become, and places I wanted to go... but all of my dreams came true when we got to bring her home. How quickly dreams change...and are fulfilled. I wonder what Mia's dreams will be? I love these pictures of Mia and her daddy. It depicts perfectly how far she has come and how healthy she is. Mia loves her daddy...she LOVES him... and so do I :-) I think my man was hand picked for me as the only one who could have endured this trial in the way that he is/did.

We are so grateful to all of you for supporting our family over the past year and a half. I am still in awe at the compassion and love that many of you have shown us. I tried to get thank you's to everyone. If I missed you, please know that I keep you in my heart and sincerely appreciate your love and support. It has been overwhelming to see so many people love Mia like their own. Our lives have been changed so much by all of you, by her heart friends, all the medical staff and surgeons, and especially by her sweet donor and family. Thank you!!

Wish us luck on her 1 year biopsy in a few days-- we are voting for NO rejection!

Happy 1 year anniversary Mia- We love you soooo much-
Let your heart Soar!!!



23 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations! I have been following Mia's story for a long time! What a wonderful ending and how beautiful her smile is!! Hugs and special kisses from South Africa!

MFA Mama said...

Oh, I LOVE the pictures of Mia "flying!" What a long way she has come, and what a touching tribute to her donor family. Thanks for sharing her story with us :)

jayna said...

I am mentally exhausted, and my heart is so warm, after re-living those aching times with you and your family.

So glad that happily ever after found Mia at last!! one year down, so many to go! Congratulations!!!

Erin said...

What a beautiful post Mimi! I am so lucky to know you and I am so grateful you have shared Mia's story with the world... she is amazing! LOVE the pictures of her flying with her daddy- SOOO CUTE!

Katie said...

Happy Heart Anniversary baby girl! We're so blessed to have you and your sweet mama in our lives and all because of a couple of broken hearts. What a momentous day and we'll be praying for a clear biopsy and "easy" cath. Lots of love and hugs to you!!!
Love your heart sister & her mama,
Maddie & Katie

Kim Allgood said...

Oh Happy Day!

*~Sarah~* said...

Ive kept up on your blog since before you even knew Mia had a heart problem. I remember reading the post just after you found out and my heart ached so much for your family. We were on vacation during the week she got the transplant and I remember wondering and worrying about her the entire time and could not believe it when I got home and checked up on her and she had her new heart. I was so emotional it was like she was my own. Its amazing how this little girl of yours has impacted so many people's lives and I know that she's here today because of your tremendous faith. Thanks for sharing her story with us. Congratulations on the new little one on the way too!

Kaidence's Mommy said...

Happy 1 Year Mia!!!!! You have come a long ways. Keeping our fingers crossed for a great biopsy. Kaidence has hers tomorrow. December 23rd she will be 2 years post transplant. Wow!!!! We are so happy for your miracle.

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

I remember sitting with you for two days after the surgery, that sight of a little baby all hooked up, and though I remember looking at her numbers and the color of her toes and knowing she was already doing much better, I never imagined she would be as happy and amazing as she is. I LOVE HER!

You have been so committed to her well being since the day you conceived her and not only is John cut out for being a heart daddy, you are the best heart mommy I know (he, he...that's a joke, you are the best ever) and I'm amazed at how constant and careful and long suffering you are for little Mia...and all your children. It wasn't easy to balance all the other loves of your life and still isn't, and you just fuel yourself up off of your love for your family and it is a great example to me. I never tire of hearing about the life lessons you've gained from being her mommy, I learn so much from all those thoughts.

John was telling Chris and I when we were at dinner at GWL last weekend (you must have been dishing up) that Mia's feeding therapist told him that if it weren't for you, Mia would still have an NG tube in. He said it with such admiration and pride for his wifey, and I think that while this post is so dead on, it doesn't speak to the dedicated mommy as it should! I think that there are (thankfully) so many trained professionals that help with Mia's progress, but she'd be nowhere as progressed if it weren't for YOU.

Carrie Hellewell said...

She's an amazing little girl! We're so proud of her and you and the family. You guys have all come a long way. Happy day Mia!!!

Natalie said...

I'm all teary. Thanks so much for sharing Mia's story with us. Mia is such a special little girl and the pictures of her healthy and happy make me happy. Good luck with the biopsy!

Stephanie said...

Mimi - I haven't officially met you yet, but my family just moved into your ward from the Gem Heights ward. I've followed your story from the beginning though, heart aching in such small comparison to what yours must have been. I'm so happy for your family - that you're able to celebrate this milestone. I am really looking forward to getting to know you guys better. What a beautiful family you have!

qwertycris said...

She's lovely. You're lovely. This is a lovely day! Happy Birthday!!!

Talia said...

Happy Heart Birthday Sweet Mia! I can't wait to see you grow up to be a beautiful young women.
Talia and Sophia

Sarah said...

Has it really been a year? I love the pictures of her flying with her daddy. What an amazing little girl. What a strong family you guys are. You could not be a better example to me, Meems. I sure love you and your darling family and I am SO happy that Mia is doing so well! I think it will just keep getting better and better! :) Happy Anniversary!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

oh, i've been waiting for this post. words really can't express how happy we are that her one year anniversary is here and how thankful that she got a second chance. I hope someday her donor's family does get to meet her and see what a marvelous miracle came out of a sad situation. you and john are such wonderful parents and handled this hard situation so well. i know you struggled but you really were/are amazing!
it was so great to see her last night and that she was actually smiling and cuddling with me...it melted my heart! we love you guys!

Liz said...

Wow! The pictures of Mia and her daddy are beautiful! She looks just like an angel:)

Princess Pookie said...

Absolutley amazing!

Jane Anne said...

I am crying here. What a wonderful milestone!! Oh, she is so beautiful. I am thankful for this anniversary. Congratulations to your family. I am thanking God for this today.

Abbie said...

Happy Anniversary little Mia! oh I cried reading this post. I remember coming to your blog and reading that she had gotten her heart. I can't believe it's been a year. She's beautiful!

Anna said...

Very touching post. Thanks for sharing!

Shelley Eggett said...

Oh those memories brought back so many emotions! Those were such sad days watching Mia suffer like that. You guys have been through so much, and did it so well. I'm so glad it's Mia's 1 year anniversary and those pains and heartaches are in the past. She is the cutest thing ever, I just love her!

Jamie said...

sorry i am a little late at saying this didnt think about it tell today but happy 1yr aniversary mia it is hard to beleive where we were 1 yr ago

with love the wilson family and especially from shay