Jan 13, 2010

The Greatest Snow on Earth

2009-12-25 336

For one of the Christmas activities we went sledding at soldier hollow, or lazy sledding as I like to call it.  Have you ever been sledding where you didn't have to walk up the hill?  no?  Head up to Midway for some ultra lazy sledding.  They pull you up the hill and you get to just sled on down... it's GENIUS!  It's like mountain biking at Deer Valley in the summer.  The ski lift takes you to the top of the hill and you get to enjoy all the beauty of mountain biking, but you never go up hill!!  I wouldn't recommend going after it rains however... I feared for my life a few times.  Luckily, when you lose control you fly into mud so it's not so bad.
Anyway, soldier hollow...it's fantastic.


2009-12-25 302

Jense getting his lift up the hill.  I mistakenly took my camera up there thinking I would get some pictures.  BAD mistake.  When I got to the bottom my camera, lens, and face were soaked.  I was trying to drag my feet because I was holding onto Jense's tube and I knew he would need a good first run that didn't scare him to death.  With that kid, one bad experience and hes done, then it  takes a lot of convincing to get him to try it again.  He loved it though- he even screamed with excitement.


2009-12-25 355

Ellie loves being the oldest girl on my side of the family.  She often considers herself one of the" big girls."  She also wants short hair... like her aunts.  I did cut it the other day trying to convince her it is now short.  We'll see how long it lasts.


2009-12-25 347

Jense was all about the sledding on the hill that you can't wipe out on (see below).  He would have stayed much longer had we allowed him.  It really is the perfect place for sledding if you live in Utah.


2009-12-25 305

Can't forget the little one.  She went down a mini hill, but didn't care much for sledding.  Maybe it was the marshmallow outfit, or the hunger, or the over due nap, but she was not a fan... not one bit.  Sledding and blood draws are pretty much comin up even in her book.  We'll try again next year, or maybe we won't.  I think I'll have a difficult time allowing her to do anything that might cause some sort of injury.  We might stick with the mini hill for a few years.  Although, her daddy tosses her around non stop, and she could get injured by simply living with her dad.  She started saying "go" when he is getting ready to drop her on the bed onto a pile of pillows.  He'll hold her high in the air until she says "go!"  It's hilarious!


2009-12-25 385


We also took a mini trip to the point of the mountain for some sledding.  First I brought you lazy sledding, now get ready for death trap sledding.  I'm sure it would have been fine had there been more snow, but I saw a big concrete block of some kind smack in the middle of the hill, along with some bricks.  Good times.


2009-12-25 276

He was loving life until....


2009-12-25 277

wipe out!!  Luckily there were no bricks under him.  I was too far away to try and catch him, and probably shouldn't have tried, but it is this exact experience I was talking about before.  I did a lot of explaining how tubing is a lot safer that sledding yadda yadda. He bought it.


2009-12-25 285

Mees and her uncle "ca,woah."  Mia didn't see any sledding action, but was a good snuggler... at this hill at least.


2010-1-2 112


The kids haven't played in snow yet this year, so having snow available everyday was a treat.  We still don't have any snow here, but there is a LOT of rain.


2010-1-2 016

icicle sword.  He was very proud of his find, and protective as well.  Ellie wanted to break it, but Jensen would have mounted it on his wall if it wasn't made of ice. 


2010-1-2 008

Elvis just wanted to eat hers... yum!! Nothing like some delicious roof run-off to fill you up.  Ellie chose to play in the snow in her jeans and no coat.  There was a perfectly available snow suit, but she insisted it wasn't cold.  Natural consequence here we come.  Obviously I wouldn't have allowed her to play out there for long with no coat, but I thought for sure she would come in and get a coat at least... nope!



2010-1-2 088

Mia wishing she was outside with the kids in the snow.  Besides the reflection of the beautiful hills, I love this picture for her outfit.  I don't think I have a picture of this yet... probably because I always correct it, but notice the onesie snapped over the pants?  This is John's signature move... he does it to mess with me.  I'm not a perfectionist by any stretch, but the onesie over the pants just drive me nuts.  He claims, the pants stay on better, but we both know it's to make me laugh- which I do.


2010-1-2 142

Mia helping out in the kitchen.  She likes dishwashers, but hasn't unloaded too much.  She mostly plays the drums on the door when it's open, and dances.  My other kids LOVED the dishwasher, so I assumed she would be the same.  What she lacks in dishwasher unloading she makes up for in Kleenex box unloading. If that girl gets her hands on a wipes box, she is on the clock!  I just cleaned up a Mia wipes disaster, she's speedy.


2010-1-2 149

This is her prancing in action.  You can see there is no type of balance going on at all... but she sure has fun!  Her physical therapist wants to get her some braces to correct her foot ankle dilemma.  It's probably something that would correct over time, but I guess it's easier to fix now. 


2010-1-2 040

Thank Heaven's for a baby that allowed Ellie to hold her and even was happy about it???  This is my little niece Sydney- so sweet.  There's something about your siblings kids that make you want to eat them too.


2009-12-25 401

This little nephew got some exciting news on Christmas morning... well his mommy did.  She found out that she was having another sweet baby girl.  She is due only a few days after me, and waited until Christmas to open the envelope! Now that's control.  I would have lasted an hour or two, tops!

-
2009-12-25 181

My dad is the train man.  Yes, he spent more time putting them away than he did playing with them, but it's all worth it... right dad?  Trains were always a big part of Christmas. My favorite train is the one where  little men are on either end of the platform pumping the lever and they go quickly around the track until they bump into another set of men.  It seems like there were four categories to the gifts my dad would receive:  1) nuts 2) jerky 3)tie/socks 4) a village piece.  I don't know if the village made it out this year or not... but the trains sure did.


2010-1-2 059


We've got our own little wild animal. Daddy felt we needed to document her crazy hair... this is what it looks like right when she wakes up. Her hair is always everywhere...she has learned to grab a big chunk and hold it away from her face so she can see.


2010-1-2 094

A Christmas post wouldn't be complete with out a snow angel.  I hope all of your Christmases were fabulous!  Here's to 2010!!

7 comments:

Briawna said...

Ronell did the onesie over the pants/tights, too. I tried explaining it but he felt the need to humiliate our children anyway. But at least Mia's ready for jazzercise!

Brimaca said...

Did you know Lindsay's Hill used to pull you back up too - back when my dad was a kid. I was always jealous when he would tell us that.

Loved the pictures as always. Such beauties.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

loved all those pics. so many things made me laugh including the onsie over the pants! sledding looked like tons of fun.

Rebecca said...

Love checking in on y'all! Could your children be any more adorable??? Seriously.
Praying you through another God-given baby!!!

Love~ Rebecca

Bug said...

your entire family is so unbearably adorable. i absolutely love reading your posts. that work free sledding sounds amazing!! i want to go THERE! love your kids' sweet faces, and you and your husband are probably the most beautiful couple i've ever laid eyes on. you should be the model family for a big magazine spread or something. seriously. :)

Holen Family said...

I am so jealous of the "lazy hill" When we were youngins' we had to hike up memorial hill. However, those were good times!

Sarah said...

What an amazing sledding hill! I did not know they did that, we're going to have to check that out next time we're out in Utah. My kids made my siblings pull them up the hill because I wouldn't do it! :)