Mar 21, 2010

April Fools Day... a few thoughts

Mimi's shower invite2


This is the invitation, minus a few details, that my friend created for a shower for Ned. First of all I think it is hilarious that my husband told her that I "eat bad liars for lunch." We joke around a lot about doing certain things in our sleep or eating things for lunch... for example: If John was going to watch more than our kids at a time, I might say... "you're cool with all these kids?" He would say... "I eat kids for lunch." I am cracking up that it made it onto a baby shower announcement.

Second of all, I was completely convinced of the error. When my friend told me the story of how she didn't realize what she had done until the night before...I was SOLD! It was well thought out, AND all details of her story made complete sense. Good thing I wasn't disappointed or I would have felt really stupid. She told me that she would just keep the girl gifts (she was having a girl) and get some things for Ned. I tell you, it was really convincing. So, no "lunch" was had- and I was the recipient of an early April Fools joke.

Hopefully my boy, if he is born on the 1st, has a better ability of sensing jokes on his birthday!


April Fools Day is my official due date... it is not the first time I was due on this date:

A few year ago I was expecting. I had miscarried earlier that year, and was excited about the possibility of a new baby. I took a pregnancy test and sure enough... it was positive. I went in for an early ultrasound because I was nervous about a repeat miscarriage. The doctor found two separate sacs, but wasn't confident enough to confirm that I would be having twins. I was ecstatic, but at the same time concerned that my heart would struggle carrying twins. We went on vacation, and when I returned my doctor confirmed that I was miscarrying....again!

I haven't shared much about my experience with miscarriage, nor is this post supposed to be about miscarriage. I just think that it is tender that I am due on April 1st again.

Everyone thinks that I am crazy that I am trying to hold out for my due date. Most women would gladly go a few days early if not a couple weeks. Don't get me wrong... I would LOVE for April to be today, but I really want an April baby, so I'm hoping he stays put. We still haven't decided on a name, so it's good we have a week + to try and figure it out. It seems like such a hassle to try and name the baby after you leave the hospital- sign me up for hassle free.

6 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I hope you get your April baby!! I love the invitation and the idea of the party. Can't wait to see the little guy.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

haha, you definitely deserve hassle free and april is a nice month! i hope i can see you again before ned arrives! what's your schedule-io looking like these days?

Shelley Eggett said...

That's great!

jayna said...

What an adorable shower idea! And I'm with you...try to hold out for April. Lila was born in that month, and I swear it was the NICEST time to have a baby!

John Boy said...

sorry Meems. I hope we meet Ned tomorrow.

Kirstin said...

What a cute baby shower idea! Congrats on the baby by the way... so excited for you! My mom, little nephew, and grandpa DeCastro are all April Fools babies! It is a good day! Plus in your family... you and John seem like you would be hilarious with the things you came up with for this little guys birthday each year! Hope all goes well!