Sep 9, 2010

Those Famous Pickles

After a few requests for my moma's... I mean "Grammie's Dill Pickle" recipe- I decided just to throw it on here for all of you pickle making maniacs (like us).

Be forewarned that once you make and have eaten these pickles... you will never be the same. I mean, you will be in pickle HEAVEN and will forever be a pickle snob!

Let's just say they are so good that John STEALS them (he is more than welcome to them) from my mom's storage. sorry dad :-)

OK Here goes.... drum roll.... the recipe:

2 grape leaves
1 clove garlic; 1/2 - 1 dried chili pepper (depending on how spicy you want them)
1 bunch dill (1 large head or 2 small stems)
cucumber to fill


Brine:

2 qts Vinegar 1 qt 1pt. 1c.
1 gallon water 1/2 gal 1qt. 2 c
1 cup non-iodized salt 1/2 c. 1/4c. 2t

pour over cucumber, wipe jar tops, seal, process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.


Start with as many pickling cucumbers as you please. If you've been reading my blog for awhile you may or may not laugh at this. Yes, there are pickling cucumber that are NOT full sized and do NOT shrink! Ok, so wash em up...

Cut off the "blossom side" of the cucumber- not the part that has the stem looking thing or as my kids call them, the "pokers." You don't need to remove that much...see photo above

Ok now load up your jars with the spices. Make sure you have already prepped your jars before loading them up. This is the part that is fun because if you want to make a few jars that are more spicy you can add a more peppers/garlic. Make sure to mark your extra spicy ones with a sharpie.... when it's done processing.

Make sure you purchase fresh dill. I bought this dill at Winco and it was fabulous dill! In the recipe the Heads are the top flowery parts- he he- I'm so helpful huh?

Now- cram as many cucumbers as humanly possibly into the jars. Try and purchase the smallest sized cumbers... they're tastier anyways. Put larger ones in first they squeeze smaller ones all around. If you want to you can cut some up to fill the jars more, but it's not necessary.

Now, fill the jars with the hot brine. Leave at least a half an inch (or more) from top to get a good seal. We used the large brine amounts because we made mass amounts of pickles. If you don't want to make enough to last you a whole year, use the other quantities for the brine. Do not use plain vinegar- apple cider vinegar is the way to go.

Now, place them in your water bath caner (or whatever you use to can food) and process them in boiling water for 5 min. Take them out and let them cool. Make sure you hear the "pop" and that your lids are all sealed up.

VOILA!!!

You have the tastiest pickles known to man! Oh, wait... did I mention you have to wait a few months to eat them? Well, you don't have to, but you should- they are just better the longer they have to really soak up the goodness.

Happy Pickling!

11 comments:

Katie said...

Mimi- you're so cute...love this post! My mom and I just canned pickles a couple of weeks ago! I love them and I'm officially a "pickle snob" as well. We use my grandma's recipe and claim they're the BEST but will have to try yours- ours doesn't have the "kick" in it! So glad I'm not the only one who cans pickles...I told one of my friends and they looked at me like I was crazy! And for the not-eating part, my grandma always swore that you don't open anything canned until the first snow. Makes sense in the old days (their food could last all winter this way??)

Take care & great post! I loved it!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BarbaraJo said...

Funny you should post this. I just finished bottling pickles. I am hoping they aren't so bitter/strong the longer they sit, or maybe it was the brine/spice combo I used.

Shelley Eggett said...

Wow that was really nice of you. Now I know where to come when I need a play by play on pickling. One day I will get brave and try it.

Shila said...

you are just the regular martha stewart! I love how vibrant all the pictures are! I need to can something now!

Bebop said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I am totally going to try this! I will report about how frustrating it is because this post looks like nothing but ease!!

The Heaps Family said...

I'm going to have to try this. These are the only kind of pickles my husband likes.....the whole ones.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

my aunt and i just canned pickles and pickled green beans too! i loved all your pics!

mbishopp said...

Those look so delicious i am tempted to fly you out here to help me make some of my own. Love the tutorial.
thx.

Heather and Tim said...

Meems! I finally canned my first batch of pickles! I even used cucumbers from my own garden! Can't wait till "the first snow" to get to tast one! :) Thanks for this great post-
Heather

Anne said...

Note to myself for next year when I look up this recipe. The large batch of brine filled about 14 jars. Thanks meem, this is my second year making your pickles!