Feb 8, 2011

CHD Awareness Week and a little Cat and Mouse

This is the face of CHD
Isn't it a perfect face?
She has come so far!
I don't have anything profound to say this day
but feel it my duty to post something for CHD week
Mia is 1 in 100
1 in 100 babies are born with a CHD

I am a CHD survivor and a mother of a child with a CHD

We need to create awareness!
Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 birth defect.
Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. 

Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the United States each year as from all forms of childhood cancers combined, yet funding for pediatric cancer research is five times higher than funding for Children’s Heart Foundation.

The American Heart Association directs only $0.30 of every dollar donated toward research. The remainder goes toward administration, education and fundraising efforts. Of the $0.30 that goes toward research only $0.01 goes toward pediatric cardiology for CHD. Sources: Children’s Heart Foundation/ March of Dimes

What can you do?
Ask to have your baby screened at birth with a pulse ox machine
It may just save their life.  after all...
We're 1 in 100.









Mia has only been around a handful of animals.  She took particular interested in my friends cat.  When she ran away Mia tried to find her.  This girl is a ray of sunshine to my soul! 

Enjoy CHD week 2011- now that you know it is CHD week!  In the spirit of awareness here is the last time we headed up to Seattle for Donate Life Today.  I was very pregnant...keep that in mind. Mia has grown so much!      video HERE

5 comments:

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

Cute pics of Mia and Roxy! She's so special...much more rare than 1 in 100 when you take into account all the other things she is that are super awesome! You are a great spokesperson for CHD. I learned new things in this post! Thanks!

Kelli said...

1 in a 100. Lucky me, I have two boys born with heart defects. She is so beautiful, just like her big sister and her momma!

Sarah said...

That is the cutest little face. My goodness :) You are both incredibly special girls, that's for sure! You are a wonderful spokesperson, Mimi. I have definitely learned things I didn't know before through you.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

love love the pics! she's such a doll. can't believe that video was only a year ago! you guys are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to send you this article that I found in my local newspaper last night. I thought you would like know people are doing their best to get awareness out every where!
http://www.hillcountrynews.com/news/article_709396dc-33d2-11e0-ad2e-001cc4c03286.html

Let me know if you can't open it. My email address is Christy_78748@yahoo.com

Christy Boling