Jun 20, 2011

Our Angel Jacob... Mia's heart donor

It has taken me a week or so to emotionally prepare to write this.  We heard from Jacobs mom and parents last week. We exchanged a few emails and she told me of his life.  Here are a few excerpts from her letter:

...When I see Mia’s picture, I see my son. The bright smile, bright eyes, chubby cheeks, and the funny faces, they bring me to tears and I think about how she is the cutest thing on Earth. The way you talk about her is the way I talk about Jacob - loving, fun, full of joy. He was special to me, the best thing that had ever happened to me...


Jacob changed my life. The moment I held him I knew things were going to be ok. I felt a sense of joy that I had never felt before. He was also the only grandson out of seven grandchildren in my family. I was determined to be the best mother I could be.  


After reading about her loss and grief I am taken right back to transplant day.  It was such an emotional day because we were being so blessed, but I knew that in order for that blessing to come that someone would be suffering somewhere else.  If I think about it for long periods of time it is almost too much for my soul to ponder on her grief. Jacob was taken from her and suffered a tragic loss of her beautiful baby.

My heart hurts.  I know how much she misses him.  Jacob's mother and grandparents loved him so much. Watching the videos was truly difficult. Such a sweet little boy smiling and giggling and crawling around.  I wanted to reach through the computer and hold him and sing to him.  He is our angel and we love him!  


I can't wait to meet Jacobs family and let them hold and love Mia and hear that perfect little heart.  She has so much love to share and I know she is holding out to give some of that love back to Jacob's moma.  It is a heart so full of love and I know Mia will deliver that to her.  She gets to be an honorary daughter to Jessica, and I feel a responsibility as she described to be the best mother I can be. 


I showed Mia some pictures of Jacob and she kept saying: "oh Jacop!"  then after she heard me tell the screen, "thank you sweet Jacob" she said, "tank you see Jacop." I told her about Jacob and pointed to her heart.  I don't know how much she understood of what I told her, but she kept saying "tank you Jacob" over and over as if she knew who she was talking to and why she needed to say thanks.  It was precious.

Here are some pictures of Mia's sweet baby donor Jacob.  It's ok to cry if you need to.  I sure did. His smile is precious in these pictures, and I know there are so many family members who miss him back home.  I know you know this through recently correspondence with you all, but please know that we think of you daily and pray for continual healing of your hearts.  I feel a strong bond that I think can only really be described and understood from me to you, Jessica...mother to mother.  I have a firm belief in life after this one, and what a wonderful reunion it will be with all of us together again with our Angel Baby Jacob.  We love him and we love you.  Thank you again again and again for giving our daughter the most precious gift of life.




Our precious little Angel

10 comments:

Brimaca said...

Oh. My. Goodness. What a beautiful baby boy. What a gift they gave. I'll remember to pray for them too and will always be grateful they made the choice they did to donate his little, precious heart and in so doing saved sweet baby Mia.

BarbaraJo said...

Wow...that will tug at your heart strings. May the Lord bless both families. There is a greater plan. Our love and prayers go out to you all.

Algoma Timberlakes said...

What can I say after reading your post through my tears.
Only that JACOB IS WHAT LOVE LOOKS LIKE!

Erin said...

WOW! The tears are just falling! What a beautiful baby boy! So much love to Jessica, and her family for the selfless gift they have given! And that sweet little Mia...LOVE HER!!!

Katie said...

What a beautiful baby boy...I'm sure it's both comforting and so heart-wrenching for you to look at these pictures. What a blessing he is to your family and I'm happy to read that his mother is comforted by knowing he lives in Mia now. What an amazing story Mia has to share, Jacob will forever live on in her.

Thanks for your messages while we were in the hospital. I miss you too and thought of you often there, more like "ok, I can do this for a couple of weeks...Mimi did this for months" type thoughts. I wore my flip-flops in the showers on the 5th floor too, remember reading about this on your blog :)

Glad Mia is doing better now and on the mend. Scary to have to be in the hospital again, but hey, now you are familiar and they have got Mia "down" I'm sure already. I saw Dr. Buececk (sp?) and thought of Mia and you, almost wanted to run up to him and say "Hey, Mimi and Mia are my sweet friends! They're doing great in Utah!" but thought that would be a little weird. Anyway, there are lots of things/people at Children's that makes me think of you guys. Always will...

Love to you and hope you're enjoying summer. I love reading your updates :) Keep them coming! Your family is so dang cute.

Love you guys!

Shelley Eggett said...

Oh what a sweet baby boy! He is absolutely precious and such an angel. What a wonderful gift they gave, the most selfless gift someone could give. Thank you for sharing this with us, we love you and little Mia and we love Angel Jacob and his Mommy and family.

Amy said...

God bless both of your families! I love that Mia repeated tank you Jacob! So incredibly sweet! I've got to start stockpiling kleenex at my work desk or stop reading your blog at work!

Shila said...

Oh he is darling! Those eyes! That family will have blessings untold for their decision to donate thier sweet baby's heart. There are so many affected by that one choice. Thank you.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

wow, totally cried. so great to see such a sweet lil' face to picture now when I think of his selfless act! I also still think of his family and have wondered about them. Glad to know you have been able to correspond with them. Such a hard, remarkable gift that like you said brings so much joy and gratefulness yet so much heartache too. Love and miss you guys everyday. Give your family hugs from us! Thanks for sharing this.

Erin said...

What an amazing mother jacob had. To allow her babys heart to go to another. That takes a special mom. How sweet the reunion will be in this life and the next.