Aug 29, 2011

Having a "person"



Today I am missing my "person"

I warned you that I would be blogging about one Rebecca Pierce, and here it is.

I have been thinking about our friendship a lot because I miss her.  The best way to describe her is as a sister.  Yes, I have five, but I'm officially adding one to the mix.  She is a sister to me... a true sister.  I don't know why I feel like crying while I write this blog... it's just sad.

Let's start at the beginning.

After having two play dates together, we were immediately close and spent the next four + years involved in each others lives.  Our weekend plans often involved each other and most of our date nights were together.  We also had mid day activities together and met at piano, play dates, and girl's nights.  As a girl coming from so many sisters I needed her, and her involvement in my life.

I think the first real event that tied us together was the big benefit auction we did to raise money for a friend who was suffering from cancer for the fifth time.  We were both in way over our heads, but somehow we pulled it off (with help of our other peeps)... raised the money... and lived to tell about it.  After doing the auction there was nothing we couldn't handle.

Fast forward to later that year when we learned about Mia.  My life pretty much stopped... and she made me feel like hers did as well.  I said there was nothing "we" couldn't handle, because she was right there with John and I the entire time. She raised money, watched kids, watched kids, WATCHED KIDS, and coordinated basically my entire life while I was walking around with my "eyes glazed over" (her words) in a hospital.  I often did have a blank stare because I did not know how to process my feelings, or where to start processing my feelings.  I had some very awful and discouraging thoughts that I only ever voiced to her.  She immediately dismissed my negativity and basically gave me a slap in the face (not literally) that I needed to wake up and "be Mimi."  Rebecca was such an integral part of my experience with Mia.  She loved her, and called, texted, emailed me often, and had friends bring me meals, visited me, and did I say raise money??  She was involved in it all, and I am so lucky that she was in my life when it all went down.

After Mia received her heart and made it home things started to get back to the way they were...but changed.  I was not as care free, i was a germ freak, and was not the same Mimi she was used it.  She didn't complain and just went with it.  I was never a needy friend before, but I am probably the most needy friend she will ever have.  I needed so much during those months.  She had to explain my behavior, and back me up when I was irrational about something little.  I think I am better now... but there was definitely a OCD stage that she had to endure.

A year after her transplant I think our lives resembled what they had pre Mia... or something close to it.  We spent a lot of time... well... wasting time.  We watched the show "The Hills" gasp! I know.  It sucked me in, and I would probably still be watching it, but my viewing promptly ended when LC stepped out.  John of course was disgusted in our choices, but often watched with us just so he could make comments and make fun of us.  After all of the stress we needed some entertainment to take us (me) far from the worry.  We watched other shows as well... but we won't get into that.

We did a lot together... it was usually all her ideas.  Photography class, mentoring youth, knitting (ha ha) quilting, movies, date nights.  She is a planner, which is perfect for my personality.  I love to do... but I am not much of a planner.  She often commented that she LOVED that I was always available.  I was.

We always had fun together.  It was such a rewarding friendship because we were our own biggest fans.  She told me once that she "felt young" when she was with me.  I don't know if this means that I am immature or just fun.. I'll go with just fun. :-) She understood me when I spoke in spanglish.. although she always corrected me when i jokingly said, "yo sabo" instead of "yo se"  Sometimes I said it just so she would correct me... she just couldn't help it.   I love this about her.  She owns "Ethspanol."

She has always had complete faith in me.  For example, she recently volunteered me to teach a Zumba class which is something I have never done, but have taken classes.  It was fun! I wish I was still doing it. We had a lot of fun preparing for this...maybe a little too much fun. 

She along with John threw me the best party complete with Flash Mob!  Click Here to read about it.  

Rebecca, You are my person... what more can I say!

This post could go on forever...there is so much to type.  I don't know if we'll ever live close together again (even though I tease you that we'll be back soon) but my favorite things about you are:

- How you think you are part gangster... and you are ;-)  - How you will defend and stand by Eminem and what a "genius" he is  - Your narcolepsy... I know it's a thorn in your side, but it was very entertaining for me and JB...you were hilarious, and I can't believe we never taped your slurred speech  - You know every country song ever sung  - Your putting restrictions on things (like having your picture taken), and me always refusing to obey your demands...  I never posted them..but I have them!  - Your knowing and caring about so many people.  I know stories about your second grade teacher!  - Thinking the best of me, and knowing better.  - Encouraging every little thing I did.  - The dominant Head cheerleader in you  - Your constant teasing me about living in "Mimi's world"  - The way we always debated who came to who's house more.  I came to your house WAY MORE!! ;-)  - Our inability to beat our husbands at pictionary even when we cheated (shhh don't tell Chris). - Mia calling you "Becca" and Jensen calling you "Rabacca"  - Your willingness to take pictures of my family non stop  -Your thoughtful homemade gifts - Your coaching me in photography - Your motto of what's mine is yours - All of our jokes and our husbands jokes - Your inability to keep track of your keys... and phone ;-)  - How you know who you are and own it - Your love of popcorn and pistachios  -Your awesome terms like "freak show" - Your blue tooth malfunctioning only when you're talking to me - And most of all I am going to miss your stories that all begin with, "I can't believe what just happened..."

I wish I could beam you here once a week. There is definitely a void without your close proximity.  Thanks for being my person.  Thanks for everything. This is not a farewell... I just wanted you to know how much these past years have meant to me.  I'm glad you moved from Gem Heights, and taught me so much about friendship.  I owe you so much... Thank you! I miss you! I can't wait to see you next month!  


1 comment:

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

Oh, it is working now. Thanks for the nice memories and kind words. I love it when people really know me! I miss you more now than I did before...and again...people...I went to her house five times to her every one visit to my house and that counts the times she had to drop my keys and wallet and phone off. Hahahahaha...I feel like the past two years or so I probably spent almost equal face time with you and JB...three nerds on a couch with laptops and a big TV. NERDS. Date night at your house was a hit, and we miss it. Pretty much around 8PM every night I miss you lots. What a test of our friendship it would be to see if you would come to my house now that CP is all kinds of busy. Hmmmmm. Anyway, you know you are my sister-friend, I've got about five too and I need every one of them. I love you! Miss you! Talk to you in a sec.