Jan 8, 2012

A mother disguised as a big sister

Ellie and her "two babies"


Ells is the main mother of the household.  It so difficult sometimes being the actual mother of the real mother.  She seems to have all the answers... good ideas... toddler strategies, etc.   There really is no use arguing with the girl.  She was put on this earth to be a mother and she is getting her training early! I think the phrase that I say more than any other as a mother is "Ellie, leave the baby be!"  Sometimes I even ask nicely. :-)  The term "baby" encompasses both Sam and Mia.  Mia loves being included in the baby category so we just leave her there.  She (Mia) asks me on a daily basis if I want to "snuggle two babies?"  The answer is always yes.  When I carry them both down the stairs she announces, "moma's two babies."  She likes being one of the babies... we like it too.  She is also a "big girl" and a "princess" on most days as well.   Most of the time the "babies" don't mind the attention, but Ellie has a way of trying to force them into playing library, or school, or kitchen, or anything... and they scream like they've been stabbed.  This is when the "leave them be!!" demands ensue.   I wish I was exaggerating, but we deal with this on a daily basis.  I need the book, parenting a child who wants to be the mother... if one exists. 


Often Ellie's insistence on taking care of the "two babies" comes in handy.  She is creative and keeps them occupied for a long time.  This mothering a mother does have it's perks I suppose.


Mia looks so happy.  She plays the little sister role so perfectly.  She would sit in that box all day long if Ellie continued to push her around.  That particular night Ellie had a difficult time managing the two who both wanted turns... so she cut a hole in the box and put them in together


Sam rode around on the flap..looking enormous I might add.  They stayed in this box together for longer than you would think a three and one year old would.  


Ellie just adores these kids.  They seem to be more than willing to be the adorees. 


I have distinct memories of being maneuvered via my pink "bed spread."  I remember longing for my turn to last longer.  I never got my fill of this activity.  The kids play this often, and I finally got the camera out to remember these little goof-balls just as they were.  



I thought this picture was fitting for this post.  This is the tile that Ellie gave to John and I for Christmas.  She decorated it and said what she wanted to be.  "When I grow up I want to be a.... mom."  Her truest most honest desire.  There is no doubt in my mind that this is what she wants very most of all.  Hopefully she won't get burned out with all the current mothering she's doing.  :-)

Elles, you are a great little moma- thanks for your help!

4 comments:

angela said...

I may come close to your number with the phrase "leave her be", but in my case i'm trying to reason with a 3-year old who wants to dictate all the actions of her 15-month old sister. gotta love a little mother!

Jena Sulser said...

Oh Ellie!!! She is one cute girl! I am glad you posted her tile on here. She was proud of that!

Brimaca said...

I need her to come visit me! :)

Shelley Eggett said...

What a sweety! (I can say that because I don't live with her) She's going to be such a good mommy with tons of practice.