Sep 16, 2012

A Decade of Marriage + Quilt + Certificate + funny story



This here was the 10th Anniversary gift I presented to my man JB for our 10 year anniversary gift.  It is the first and LAST t-shirt quilt you will ever see grace this blog.  I have been planning this gift since about february (I'm on top of my game like that) :-)  and rightfully so because t-shirt quilts are like the project you start then you fastforward.... one year later... and it's finally done.  Lucky for me when I realized I bit off more than I could chew my angel mother decided she would bail me out.  Mom, I would never have made it look nearly as fabulous.  She spent a lot of time putting the little pieces of this puzzle quilt together. John LOVES it too!  Before I forget... I must mention the fabulous woman who quited it for me.  Cindy Williams over at Red barn quilts did all of the quilting.  You might be confused now if you are not a quiltee like me ;-)  So We cut out all of the shirts and ironed interfacing on them, then cut them again to be square.  I started "piecing" them together and my mom pretty much took it from there. Piecing is different from quilting.  Just in case you needed that clarified.  It was a group effort and I am so pleased with the end result.  I am happy to have this quilt- I mean happy that JB has it! It will be a fun blanket for our kids to grow up with.

That picture wasn't very in-focus, but fear not... I have close ups!  
Also, just to describe what shirt means what... I will make a list of the significance of each shirt.
Just what you were hoping for right!?!



Ok- I'll start with the top left corner :-)
  • Dance festival- I was in charge of teaching youth of my stake (church term) a few dances that they performed with a bunch of other stakes at the Tacoma Dome.  I never got to see it because it was a few weeks after Mia was born... but I hear it was fantastic!
  • McDonalds Happy Meal- JB bought me this shirt- I have always liked the name McDonald- 
  • BYU- Both JB and I graduated from BYU.  He studied International business, and my degree was in MFHD
  • Wasatch Wasps- that is my H.S. mascott.  Go Wasps!
  • Got Hope?  We love Hope kids.  
  • Family picture.  I wanted a picture of all of us together.  The picture didn't trasfer that well to the fabric, but you get to a point of not caring, and I was beyond that point.  
  • BHS- JB's high school- All John's school shirts were mailed to me by his mama. Thanks so much for sending them!!
  • Keep Calm and Dance like a Waspette- I am the Assistant Advisor for the Waspettes. 
  • Senior Shirt- Another WHS shirt
  • Argentina.  JB served a 2 year LDS mission to Argentina Buenos Aires (south mission)
  • EFY shirt-  I was an EFY counselor in 2001.  It was my favorite summer of my life.  So many fun memories and I truly felt like I was making a difference. 
  • Thank you Jacob Picture.  He is such an important part of our lives.  Thank you Jacob!


Top right corner:

  • Swiss Days- A big part of my childhood.  I Loved and still love Swiss Days.  
  • McDonald Clan- This was a t-shirt from one of the family reunions that JB went to with his family.  It says Families are Forever!  yes, yes they are!
  • My baby Mia has a Heart shirt.  The cutest ever Morgan made this shirt when Mia was in the hospital.  It was very thoughtful and sweet and I wanted it in the quilt.  Thank you Morgan!
  • The number 85- There are 4 of these.  They came from a shirt John bought me when we were dating.  I don't wear it any more, but I did a lot and holds a lot of significance for the two of us. 
  • You are the best thing that's ever been mine shirt.  This has a few meanings... besides being true- JB really is the best thing that has ever been mine, he started listening to Taylor Swift songs before I did. He kept trying to throw it out there all nonchalant... "Hey have you heard this song?" There are a few inside jokes in our marriage based on Taylor Swift so it is fitting- Oh and I saw her in concert.  
  • YMCA- We were big YMCA'ers before we moved to UT.  I wish there was a YMCA here.  I love it. 
  • Ricks College.  Loved Ricks college and I if I could go back in time and revisit my previous life for a specified period of time it would be Ricks College.  I had so much fun there that I think it was more than the law allowed. :-)  Inside joke for my sisters...  John and I met at Ricks College when I was 18! 18 people!  yikes.  We started dating in the winter and the rest is pretty much history... It took me awhile to come around to the whole marriage idea (to the tune of 3 years) but I had to know for SURE that he was the one!  I finally figured it out :-)  
  • Yell Leader-  John was a yell leader.  There I said it.  Actually if you know me it flows from my lips quite freely.  I love that JB was a yell leader.  I usually say cheerleader just for a better reaction, but it is true, John and his best friend from high school "unca will" were yell leaders their senior year.  He told me that he thought it was the best way to hang out with all the "cute girls."  why yes, yes it was hun.  well played. 
  • Seattle shirt.  The significance of Seattle is pretty well understood if you have been reading this blog for awhile.  That is where Mia was born and then where we were living until ultimately her life was saved by our sweet angel Jacob.  Seattle will always be the city of miracles to our family. 
  • Guadalajara Mexica shirt-  When John and I were engaged I went to Mexico with the international volunteer program at BYU.  It was AMAZING!  I loved it!  I spend my days at an orphanage with the sweetest children.  We helped them with school and then played with them a lot!  I also was assigned to a "esquela para ninas ciegas."  A blind school for girls.  This pretty much rocked my world.  I learned how to write in brail to communicate with the girls.  I loved writing something (mind you I was also writing in Spanish) and then seeing the girls faces light up after they read what I had punched through the paper with my brail tools.  I was happy every day in Mexico- everyday!  I was there for these kids and nothing else, well we had Spanish classes too, but the kids gave me so much happiness!  There was one little boy named Cesar that I could have taken home in a heart beat.  He clung to me like glue and when we had to say good bye we both cried and cried.  He is probably 17 or so now, and I can't help but wonder what his life is like.  
  • Just Dance- I taught Dance at the YMCA off and on while I lived in WA.  I loved it.  I miss it!
  • Just a little shirt from where I went to elementary school.  
  • The homemade heart was from our Valentines Olympics.  That was such a hilarious evening. If you need to spice up your Valentines this year... read that post. 
  • University of Utah- the reason we moved back to Utah.  JB just completed his BSN at the U.  He will now have 2 bachelors degrees. 1 from BYU and 1 from the U.  Which side of this rivalry will prevail? 


Middle left-

  • Bethel Jr High- JB's school
  • Heart Dance- Another Dance Shirt
  • Thank you shirt- my girls from one of my EFY sessions made me this shirt. They wrote sweet notes to me on the back. This shirt didn't originally make the cut, but we needed some filler. 
  • BYU- again.  Go Cougars!
  • 85 shirt
  • Nursing- John just finished his Bachelors of Nursing degree.  Love you hun- you did it!
  • IHC- he is working at IHC
  • Cool Rule- from a shirt I got when I didn't the dairy princess pageant... don't ask!!
  • Primary Children's Medical Center- Where Mia is not being treated and where I grew up going and had my surgeries.  John also works there.  It is just a wonderful hospital and a pretty big part of our lives these days. 
  • Adventure for Youth.  I was also a counselor for AFY.  It was more outdoor counseling type stuff. I loved it.  Thought I wanted to be a wilderness counselor after that.  I did want to be a youth counselor for many a year.  
  • Puzzle heart.  This shirt is just random... no real significance other than being cool and being  heart. 
  • YMCA repeat/ filler
  • EFY girls repeat/ filler

    Middle Right-
  • John and I made shirts with pictures of eachother on them.  Mine is an awesome knobby kneed picture from when i was a little one in my tap dancing costume.  The shirt I wore with John on it was my favorite.  He had drawstring high waisted sweat pants with a tucked in maroon shirt.. complete with crisscrossed velcrow strapped shoes.  LOVE IT!
  • do fries come with that shake?  the back to the McDonalds shirt He bought me after we were married. 
  • Bethel Bulldogs- High school shirt.
  • Waspettes shirt. The girls wore those shirts for mini waspettes last year.  
  • Got Milk?  T shirt for the dairy princess pagent-- again don't ask. 
  • Hope Kids- our favorite organization.  We love Hope Kids!
  • Heart Mom. I am very proud to be a heart mom.  Some of the most amazing women I know come from our little close knitt group of heart moms.  This was a shirt from this last year.  I used it in the quilt, but had to buy another one to wear..  e heh heh.
  • 85... good ol' 85.  These came in handy to fill in spots that didn't have anything. 


    Bottom left corner-
  • I heart BHS- another shirt to represent where JB went to HS
  • Teacher Mimi shirt- dance instructor at YMCA
  • Brigham Young/ EFY shirt
  • AFY front of shirt
  • BYU shirt
  • U tie-die shirt
  • Dancing Queen- one of the shirts from the Y
  • McDonalds shirt
  • Another cow pageant shirt
  • Seattle Children's hospital- where all of our hopes and dreams came true.  I miss this hospital and miss all of our friends/doctors that we knew so well.  We love you Seattle Children's!
  • Sundance- where we got engaged... AND spent the evening for this anniversary- (bottom of this post)
  • Hawaii- John and I went to Hawaii shortly after being married, like the next week. :-)  I want to go back so badly.  
  • Mimi 2009- Valentines Day Olympics shirt


Bottom Right Corner-
  • EPSOC- John's school 
  • Puyallup- where we lived previously. sniff sniff  Puyallup was where our family lived the longest so far. 
  • Dancer shirt- another dance shirt... apparantly I have a lot of dane shirts!
  • WHS shirt
  • BYU once again
  • Dance Festival shirt.  
  • IHC shirt... well part of some scrubs.  

All of the filler red fabric was from a pair of pants that he gave me when we were dating.  They were these awesome parachute pants... I'm sure I have a picture somewhere, but he got us both a pair.  It seems like there was a phase where it was in style to match your significant other.  what's that? there wasn't?  It was just us?  Well I loved our matchy parachute pants and now I'll just have to wear his when I miss mine.  They were just too perfect not to use them. 

I forgot to take a picture of the back of the quilt- it is blue paisley material.  Maybe someday it will make it on here. :-)  Today is not that day. 

* Literally 3 weeks after the t shirt quilt was pieced together I acquired 3 family sets of t shirts.  HA! I would love for them to be represented in the quilt but it is too late.  There is no looking back now. 


DONE FINALLY!  
That took longer than I had anticipated!


So now you are all wondering what he got me right?

Well here it is...




Since you can't read it... here is the text.  When he uses my computer to create his anniversary gifts I take liberties to steal the text and post them on my blog.  This is a good example of the funniness that I am married to.  I love my gift! Love it.  Oh and I also got a tri-pod.  no pic.


Certificate of Excellence
Awarded to Mimi McDonald
In honor of your outstanding performance as wife: Hotty, Macarena dancer, lover, joker, mid-night toker, king of tickle torture, patient, random object finder, need a lot of water at night, rare beauty, computer genius, deal finder extraordinaire, focused, loving, wise, funny, bright, good driver, experienced back seat driver, a great friend, cooking skillz, cheerful, thrifty, brave, compassionate, confident, faithful, honest, caring, understanding, no using of alcohol or drugs in excess, pleasant, respectful, great debater, supportive, no nagging, sexy, strong like bull, takes no prisoners, good snuggler.

And,

For the following amazingness as a mother: Energetic, constantly providing fun activities, puts up with large amounts of whining and boo-whoing, bedroom cleaner, fun, dedicated family blogger, taught Ellie to read...twice, understanding, patient with messes, giving, loving, and all around wonderful.

You are hereby deemed, The Awesome One.


Awarded on the day of our Lord and Savior, the 27th of July, 2012.

                                                                                                                              ___________________________
Excellence committee founder and foremost member





My favorite part of my "certificate" is strong like bull.  (Must be said with a Russian accent.)  John Boy says the most bizarre and funny things and the most bizarre and funny moments.  That is his charm.  You would think he would be preparing for days for the right situation for the stuff that comes out of his mouth... but he doesn't.  It's just who he is.  He is one funny dude.

JB and I have been married for a whole ten years.  I guess that means I am old, er something.  That's ok.  This year we decided to celebrate at Sundance.  We were engaged at Sundance and wanted to re-live (not really) the romance.  We got to the restaurant and were the only ones there.  It was kind of neat to have the place to ourselves.  We had a good 45 minutes before the next patrons showed up.  The food was delicious.  I need to try to cook dishes that look more fancy.  It is kind of fun to eat something when it looks like a culinary masterpiece.



One of the waitresses was describing one of the aspects of our meal and and carried on about the 3 different flavors that were infused inside these small little round edible pebbles.  She was darling, but was clearly uncomfortable with her description or hadn't clearly planned out how to say it.  She gave this big long eloquent speech about the flavors and how it's prepared and at the end of it she said, "placed on a bed of watermelon, thyme, and citrus  LONG PAUSE  balls."  She looked at the floor barely getting it out.  After she said the final word of her description she looked up at us with a embarrassed half smile on her face and John and I just nodded and said thank you.

This is where our romantic anniversary dinner took a turn into how John and I usually interact.  We could not stop laughing.  John of course had like FIVE follow up jokes and it took everything in me to laugh without trying to move my body too much.  The last thing I wanted was for her to think that we were making fun of her.  John was the instigator of it all, but she definitely got the ball ( he he) rolling.

Later that evening I heard her description again and she used the word "pearl."  I think that was the word she was searching for before, but just defaulted on "balls" when the pause had gone on far too long.   It was definitely an evening to remember.  I wouldn't have had it any other way and will definitely be eating at Sundance again- hopefully sooner than later!

- Maybe that story was a tad inappropriate. I usually try to censor my blog, but this is what happened on our anniversary and hopefully my kids won't be weirded out by their mom talking about well... you know.




When we weren't crying from laughing we managed to sneak in a few serious conversations including
talking about the hi lights of our ten years together.  He of course comes up with ridiculous answers but then came up with a few good hi-lights.  Oh, and part of the parameters was we couldn't include any births of our babies, or any vacations.  It really gets you thinking about specific moments.

In general I think the very best thing about our marriage is how much we laugh together.  There are countless nights that we just laugh until our stomachs hurt.  I couldn't tell you what we laugh about... everything and nothing.  We do a lot of impressions... mostly of our kids, that really gets us going.  Parenthood is funny.  Maybe it's not to everyone, but we sure get a kick out of being parents.

JB- You are my guy and I we have had a triumphant 10 years of marriage.  We have made it through really really hard things and have enjoyed having 4 incredible children.  I know we have so many wonderful years to come.

Lastly in the words of a song I am loving right now...

Well, I don't want the whole world
The sun, the moon, and all their light
I just want to be the only girl
You love all your li-i- i-i -i-ife
You love all your life.

Happy Anniversary Babe!


6th anniversary HERE
7th anniversary HERE
8th anniversary HERE
9th anniversary HERE

4 comments:

jayna said...

So funny and awesome! Go ricks! I don't know what was in the water over in the good ole 45th ward, but it has made for some fantastic marriages! Happy TENTH!!

Shelley Eggett said...

That is alot of T-shirts! I'm so glad you posted it because I had no idea what a t-shirt quilt looked like. Happy 10 years you two, I think you are an awesome couple.

jenn said...

Congrats my friend! Number ten is a big yr, boy u r old...I will b too but not til next yr! I'm thinking of making a blanket from all the onesies and kid t shirts, rule being at least two kids had to have worn it...I'll have to call u for some tips. Congrats again, tell John he got lucky, but I'm sure he already knows that!

Danielle said...

Wow, quite the effort. Good work. I still wear my 2009 valentine day olympics shirt to bed.