Sep 26, 2012

"The PROJECT" 2012

You know when it's late at night and you are just wasting time on pinterest instead of sleeping? Don't lie... it happens to the best of us! Well, THISssss (scroll down) is what happened due to a late night pinterest session. Usually nothing on my boards transpires into anything I actually do, but they are sure fun to look at. When me moved I found this awesome $20 table and chairs. I was kind of shocked to see a solid wood table and six chairs for so cheap, but despite being my least favorite color of furniture, I snatched it up. And by snached it up, I mean sent my man in his truck to pick it up after work one day.  I loved the table, but could have done without the MASSIVE big screen TV circa 1988 that he brought home along with my new table and chairs.  That is the only draw back of buying used things, chances are they are selling something else that your husband can't live without. :-)
They were going to take the TV to DI so in all reality he rescued it ;-)




When it comes to before and after pictures, I usually get a good middle, during, and after, but rarely do I remember to take a before picture.  These are the chairs before minus a hideous white fabric that was dingy and stained.


Le Chair!  Not bad eh?  Just you wait!


My sis is basically the Jack (or shall we say Jackie) of all trades.  She has more tips tricks and abilities in her pinkie finger that most people (ME) have in their brain.  She helped me paint paint and paint some more.  Rae, you are the BEST!  What's our next project? 


Would you look at that!  I did take a picture of the table... This is what it looked like after I removed about five lbs of floor wax from the surface.  Who puts insane amounts of wax on their table?  This is the point of the project that I took the longest.  I thought I could give it a friendly cleaning and light sanding.  NOT THE CASE!  Five hours later I realized it was hopeless.  It was sooo sticky.  I broke down and bought some stripper.  After two coats I was done.  I learn the hard way... often.  



After Swiss Days (post to come) we came home and painted a lot.  I bought five cans of spray paint thinking that would be plenty for this bad boy.  I didn't prime it, so it was not. quite. enough.  Spray painting is fun, it is the reward part of projects, in my opinion.
It feels an awful lot like vandalism, but is the opposite. 


The project soon became a family affair.  My oldest sister Jess helped too.  She came into town to visit and what do I do?  Put a can of spray paint in her hand?! Truth!  Thanks JB for the pics- I love when my husband knows I will need some pictures of something and just takes them.  Oh, and no picture but my mom helped me glaze, and both of my parents helped put on all the cushions.  See, family projecting... it's how we do. 


SEE! SEE! The massive amounts of CRUD that was on this table?  This was the 2nd round of wax removal a la stripper... AFTER the sanding, oven cleaner, more sanding... so gross!  


Spray spray spray spray SPRAY SPRAY!


I could not find the right color of green that I wanted so that one had to be painted on. 
Sammy really really wanted to paint.  We let him do little strokes here and there, but he wanted it... the whole time.   


There were some tears....


Then we gave in!  Sweet little boy... painting chairs.  
Sammy was primarily responsible for the green chair.  


This is the finished colorful table and chair set!  BAM! 


Love the details...



Yummy cushions complete with plastic covering for all of the massive amounts of spilling that happen, NOT just at meal time, but pretty much every hour on the hour. 


The blues turned out so perdy!


The green is my fav!  Maybe because Sammy did it... :-)


All the legs.  Just for fun!

I am done painting for awhile.  Although during this project we also had 3 other paint projects going.  All are finished- Hurrah!  I am just excited to sit at a table and eat instead of on the floor.
Now I just need to get some fun decorations on the wall!!
Family? When are you free? ;-)


   

20 comments:

Carrie Hellewell said...

Get out of here!!!! Those chairs are to die for. I love it so much! We need a new table and chairs, maybe I need to start looking at the garage sales.... Good job Meems!

jayna said...

PERFECTION! Love love love it. Way to go- I know how much work that is!!!

The Hands said...

In my family painting an oak table and chairs would have been a cardinal sin. But I like it. You did a great job and I have to say that the details stand out so much better with the color.

Mimi said...

Thanks ladies!! I know- my mom was a fan of the original too. I just need something a little more cheerful! Hopefully this table lasts a LONG time! :-)

Angee and Thom said...

I totally know what you mean with the "things" the guys can't live without. Good job "rescuing" JB count that as your good deed for the year.What a great find! and you did a great job refurbishing. I would LOVE to find a bunch of chairs

Shelley Eggett said...

SHUT UP! I've seen stuff like this on DIY blogs before, but honestly my own little Mimi pulled this off? Not that I didn't think you could, it just seems so hard and meticulous. That is just amamzing, a masterpiece actually. I'm very proud of you and your family :)

Danielle said...

Oh! Great work meem, they are beautiful.

Stefenie said...

AWESOME!!!!! This turned out great. You now have inspired me to finally paint our dining room table and chairs. I kind of chickened out. Now I am motivated again!

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of Alice in Wonderland! I LOVE IT!!!

Becky Marie said...

OH MY WORD! This is absolutely gorgeous. Seriously, great work!

Courtney said...

I love how they turned out!

Rhonda said...

This is exactly what I have in mind for some mismatched chairs I have. My husband can't see my vision, so I'm going to show him this!

Brooke Kenny said...

I absolutely LOVE this makeover!!! Such a HUGE difference!
Brooke from babblingsandmore.com

chelsea heard said...

Did you buy the fun cushions? Where did you find them!!

Jenny Lynn said...

They look bright and inviting just as a dinning table set should. My children would each pick one and make it their own.

craftytammie said...

i really love what you did, the colors are gorgeous!

April@ Natural Nester said...

Just beautiful!!! Where did you get the fabric for the cushions? Love that!! I have a very similar table and chairs and I plan to paint it this spring also. I'll definitely be using this as inspiration! :)

Darcy Patterson said...

How did you do the cusions? Where did you find the fabric?

Lil' Bit Sassy said...

We need to redo our dining room table and chairs. Chairs have lost all their stuffing and well, like your table, just an ugly dark brown. I'm not fond of dark wood.

Lil' Bit Sassy said...

We need to redo our dining room table and chairs. Hoping it'll be our spring project. Looks like we're in for a lot of work!